What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Lots of studdering and low FPS in Valheim

Soultribunal

Staff member
after a few days of gaming seems to have settled down oh also when i enabled vsync it fixed the low fps, just shuddering left.. oh well !

thanks everyone for the feedback

I'm sure it will eventually be optimized. I don't think the developers (There are 4 of them in total I think lol) anticipated the absolute success story this game is turning out to be.
They will get to all these soon, and you're not the only one dealing with it (i've always had Vsync off as my panels are Gsync).

-ST

r0k0

Folding Team
about gsync.... does vsync have to be on or off in games ??

i have a 3080 with asus gsync 100hz 3440x1440 vsync enabled in all games, runs buttery smooth

Lysrin

about gsync.... does vsync have to be on or off in games ??

i have a 3080 with asus gsync 100hz 3440x1440 vsync enabled in all games, runs buttery smooth
That link @Sagath posted is very helpful. I'm not a competitive FPS guy, so mouse lag hasn't been an issue for me, but I usually set my NVIDIA settings to use V-Sync Fast I think it's called, for my 1080 Ti and 3440x1440 Gsync. That setting seems to give a good compromise for framerates above and below refresh rate with GSync. My panel is 100 Hz though so with the 1080 Ti in a lot of games I end up below refresh rate anyway.

Hopefully that link doesn't say not to use the Fast setting. I read it a while back when Sagath provided it somewhere else but I didn't reread this time ;)

Vittra

Fast Sync replaces Vsync above monitor refresh rate, and below monitor refresh rate will revert to Gsync. Technically it's meant to be used around double the FPS of the monitors refresh rate - so in your case it would be most optimal around 200fps - it tries to analyze as many frames as possible so it needs a good sample size. Even below that double threshold, it's still less input lag than traditional vsync with triple buffering enabled. There was a ~1.5hr interview between an Nvidia engineer and PC Perspective about it some years ago that details what it's doing.

The method Blur busters uses is different - it relies on capping your refresh rate to keep gsync enabled (common) with the additional step of enabling Vsync in the Nvidia drivers but disabling it ingame - this can make games more smooth than Gsync alone, but introduces a bit of input lag. However, the higher your fps the less the impact, from my recollection 144 fps sees around 1ms input lag, whereas by the time you get to ~240 fps there is no difference.