What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Low IOPS with my second 850 EVO 1TB

RodoGodo19

Hi,
I know that these numbers are not bad, but I want to have the best numbers possible.

• i7-6700
  • 16gb
  • asus b150i pro gaming/aura/wifi
  • samsung 850 evo 1tb
  • Win 10 64bits

Others users are having better numbers than me, better IOPS and writes. Why I have low numbers of IOPS?.

Do you think that the chipset B150 is the guilty here?.

I have the latest drivers of the controller of SATA: 14.8.0.1042

850 EVO settings:
  • Rapid Mode: OFF
  • OS PROVISIONING: 10%
  • OS Optimization: Maximum performance

This is a replacement of the first one that I had received. What is happening here?....

20k1u34.jpg

AkG

First things first. Stop using Sammys POS program. Its good for some things but performance testing is not one of them.

Secondly, yes the B150 is probably handicapping your numbers somewhat. Is this 'handicap' big enough to be noticed in the real world - ie outside synthetic tests? Doubtful. Seriously. Dont worry about it. Those numbers are still better than enthusiast grade drives from 2-3 years ago... which is about right for the entry level / budget corner of the marketplace.

Honestly if you are this concerned with IOPS performance why did you buy a cheap, entry level TLC drive... let alone two of them‽ TLC is not known for its real world IOPS performance. Its known to be cheap to produce and thus cheaper to use. There are faster options available... but once again I doubt you would notice a difference in day to day tasks. Enjoy the drive and know that you are literally bottle-necking your PCH. That is kind of cool when you think about it. :thumb:

RodoGodo19

First things first. Stop using Sammys POS program. Its good for some things but performance testing is not one of them.

Secondly, yes the B150 is probably handicapping your numbers somewhat. Is this 'handicap' big enough to be noticed in the real world - ie outside synthetic tests? Doubtful. Seriously. Dont worry about it. Those numbers are still better than enthusiast grade drives from 2-3 years ago... which is about right for the entry level / budget corner of the marketplace.

Honestly if you are this concerned with IOPS performance why did you buy a cheap, entry level TLC drive... let alone two of them‽ TLC is not known for its real world IOPS performance. Its known to be cheap to produce and thus cheaper to use. There are faster options available... but once again I doubt you would notice a difference in day to day tasks. Enjoy the drive and know that you are literally bottle-necking your PCH. That is kind of cool when you think about it. :thumb:

I want better numbers, it's a personal thing.
What do you recommend me?, sell my motherboard and buy a Z170?.

Bond007

I want better numbers, it's a personal thing.
What do you recommend me?, sell my motherboard and buy a Z170?.

That's pretty drastic for literally no tangible gain, but the motherboard is the only thing I can think of that could lower pretty much negligible numbers. So if you need the higher number then that would be the next step to try, but you could end up with the exact same result. Your $.

AkG

Well its your money. So what I would recommend is 1) sell your system 2) Buy a X99 board (say a Deluxe or Sabertooth), 64GB of DDR4-3600 RAM, and 5930K 3) Buy two NVMe PCIe SSDs - say two 1.2TB Intel 750s 4) sell a kidney 5) enjoy better performance. :thumb: Now before you say Im being snarky... thats similar to what I use as my every day rig. ;)

Your B150 may be creating a small bottleneck... but we are talking .... maybe a second or two in the difference in real world performance. Probably less.

Your SSD is just an entry level SSD. Its not a power house. Putting it in a Z170 will 'unleash' its full potential but the dif is not going to be noticed.

Once again, you purchased two entry level SSDs. Dont expect miracles from them. You got good performance, so enjoy what you got.... and next time dont go 2D TLC NAND. Get ONFi or Toggle Mode NAND based drives.

i7Baby

545 MB/s Read, 509 MB/s read - fine.

91000iops read, 76000iops write - again fine.

Find something else to worry about.

Latest posts