What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Low latency with computer in another room?

Arinoth

Staff member
Sadly looks like the dock he was using is no longer available but using a thunderbolt dock with fibre is a really good option/idea.

Izerous

Folding Team
Thanks going to do go over the helpful posts and do some research over the weekend.

sswilson

Staff member

ZZLEE

I think you buy it and test it before playing snakes and ladders. Amazon has a lax return policies. Only one way to find out.

Xeven

I have a similar setup to this for my house office. I use an HDMI over ethernet extender (with USB), and put my tower in my computer room in the basement. This way, it is all neat and tidy in the office. I only have a single monitor in there however, a 38" Acer 3840x1600 (@75Hz). I play games just fine, although I never actually tried to see if there was any lag or anything of that sort. The only point of reference I have is my office speakers, which are also wired all the way to the basement and I don't really notice any sync issues with video/audio. Depending on how you perceive visual/audio data however, YMMV.

Also, when I had my house built, I had them use CAT6A so bandwidth isn't an issue. I think CAT5e would still work just fine (depends on run), but anything below might be iffy.

EDIT: forgot to add link

I use this: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07DFSNT9N . It has all sorts of bad reviews, but as long as you are aware of its limitations, it does work well. I've had it for 4 years now and it's still going.

Last edited:

Latest posts