What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Low-power folding GPU?

JD

Staff member
Good information that I'll keep in mind.

Though I may not bother with my server at all now...rather get me an i7 :biggrin:

JD

Staff member
Time to revive this ultra-old thread!

Since hydro is going up around here, need to start looking for places where I can cut back. First thing that comes to mind is the 8800GTS 320M that's been folding 24/7 for quite some time now.

I still stand by what I'm going for though, just to provide some consistent support, but I don't really care if it's less my my current ~3000PPD.

Would you guys still say the GT240 is the best route for lowest power usage?

Oh and I did end up updating my server, it's running a E5200 + EP43-UD3L with 4x1GB DDR2-800 OCZ Platinum and an EarthWatts Green 380W. I suppose I could do some folding on the CPU too, but I don't think PPD/Watt is very good for CPUs.

chrisk

Folding Captain
GTS 250s get some decent PPD for the money. Mine is good for 5000-6000PPD with some tame power.

Zero82z

Banned
A GT 240 will consume the least amount of power while still producing a decent amount of PPD. If you want the best PPD per watt, then an i7 folding -bigadv units will give you that.

PPD/W is still plenty good for CPUs, and your E5200 will produce a decent amount of points. Take a look at the SMP guide stickied in this subforum (which I wrote :thumb:) for instructions on how to set that up.

JD

Staff member
May consider the CPU as well, though it's running passively right now, but I suppose I could slap a fan on there.

Basically what I want to end up with is 100W tops while folding. I'm hoping that's a reachable goal...

Zink

GT 240 looks like the only way to go then and probably no CPU. The original 9600 GSO with 96 cores was considered very efficient folding and the GT 240 is a 40nm version of that and looks like it might only use 50W folding. With the rest of the server going idle I think 50W GPU + 50W HDD's and CPU will meet you goal. You can probably sell the 8800gts 320 on Kijiji or the BST forum for close to $50.

_dangtx_

Banned
GT 240 looks like the only way to go then and probably no CPU. The original 9600 GSO with 96 cores was considered very efficient folding and the GT 240 is a 40nm version of that and looks like it might only use 50W folding. With the rest of the server going idle I think 50W GPU + 50W HDD's and CPU will meet you goal. You can probably sell the 8800gts 320 on Kijiji or the BST forum for close to $50.

power_maximum.gif

probaly less, like this? st is the man to ask on these tough

power_peak.gif

Zink

I think some of the WU's reach pretty close to max power (50W) for the cards because there are issues with new WU's making cards that have previously been stable folding overheat. So most must also run cooler than that, more like the second graph (40W). Since it's a server, I would leave the CPU idle but if you undervolt it you might be able to get another 1500ppd using 45W on the CPU and stay under 100W.

It will get more ppd than a 8800gts 320 (4000+) because it has more stream processors and higher clocks. I'm sticking to my 8800gts for a while but report back with ppd cause I think that if gt240's go on sale I'll pick up 3 to fill empty pci-e slots in other computers.

If 45W and 4000ppd is correct then this is as efficient as my i7 rig which uses 215W and makes 21K ppd in a VM.

Last edited:

Latest posts