What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Completed lowfat's Big Lian Li.

lowfat

Staff member

Mar 9, 2016: Final pics of V1.1. http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/foru.../55730-lowfats-big-lian-li-56.html#post818027

Dec 15, 2014: Final pics. http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/foru...pleted-lowfats-big-lian-li-50.html#post782737

Dec 18, 2013: Decided to reboot the build again :rolleyes:. Started of inverted-ATX mod here.
http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/foru.../55730-lowfats-big-lian-li-32.html#post749140

May 3, 2013: Decided to drop the 2P setup and move to single socket gaming machine :eek:.
http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/foru.../55730-lowfats-big-lian-li-12.html#post709272

Last edited:

lowfat

Staff member
July 26, 2012:

Finally got the majority of my hardware so I think it is a good time for a build log.

Forgot to take a pic of the case before I started to butcher it. But it is a Lian Li PC-A77F.
Lian-Li Global

Originally I was going to do a 2p AMD G34 system. But decided to move to Intel before ever actually using the board. Pic of the old board.
board.jpg

The blocks I bought specifically for it. Won't be using these either now.
blocksmounted.jpg

Coolgate 420 w/ some BGears adapters. I love those adapters.
radiator1.jpg

The nasty stuff out of the radiator. This is from the 4th or 5th flush. Never saved the gunk from the first 3 or so flushes.
yuk2.jpg

Big pile of sleeving.
sleeve.jpg

Recrimped the Gentle Typhoons for the radiator.
Fans1.jpg

Here is my 'floating' reservoir.
reservoirmount3.jpg

reservoirmount2.jpg

Various radiator/fans/reservoir pics.
radiatorclose.jpg

radiator2.jpg

fancabling1.jpg

radiator2-1.jpg

IMG_1243.jpg

Finally reorganized all my modding supplies. Can't believe I used individual baggies for the past few years.
Supplies1.jpg

Supplies2.jpg

Wanted something unique for my tubing, MDPC-X Grand Bleu it is! :clap:
Radiatorsleeved2.jpg

Radiatorsleeved1.jpg

Now to add the coolant I mixed up. Added it to the radiator just for some pics. :whistle:
Blue2.jpg

Blue1.jpg

Blue3.jpg

This is the colour scheme I was planning on going w/ to match the AMD board. A friend was doing a very similar build so these cables didn't get wasted thankfully.
24pin1.jpg

24pin2.jpg

Checks out a-o-k on my trusty PSU checker.
PSUtester.jpg

About here is where I realized I wanted to go w/ Intel and convert this thing in to a gaming machine, not just a server. Going to need more radiators! But space was an issue so I needed something very slim up top. I had a Magicool 2x140mm slim laying around but unfortunately it is the wrong spacing.
spacing1.jpg

spacing2.jpg

So I took out the drill and drilled in to the radiator for new mounts. I slipped up a few times and drilled in to the rad, but thankfully I missed all the important stuff. :gasp:

It fits! Need to find some good black counter sunk screws methinks.
modifiedradiator.jpg

Well I guess it don't fit after all. :sad:
radiatornotfitting.jpg

Got my EK blocks and backplates in. No real pics of the blocks yet.
backplate1.jpg

backplate2.jpg

backplate4.jpg

backplate3.jpg

One of Supremes.
SupremeHF.jpg

And playing around w/ the coolant again.
SupremeHF2.jpg

IMG_1706.jpg

One of the nekkid GTX680s. This is the Galaxy card. Nice black PCB. My other card, MSI Twin Frozr is a nasty brown. It definitely will be my bottom card.
IMG_1750.jpg

IMG_1744.jpg

Only pic I have of the block installed. :haha:
IMG_1780.jpg

Backplate mounted on one of the cards.
gtx680mounted.jpg

Finally was able to afford the new board. Asus Z9PE-D8 WS.
Z9PE-D8WS1.jpg

Z9PE-D8WS2.jpg

IMG_1892.jpg

IMG_1898.jpg

Cleaned up my older Supreme HF. I guess Ice Dragon Cooling nanofluid leaves a residue on the blocks. Was able to polish it clean though.
Stained.jpg

Cleaned.jpg

Upon further comparision. This made me rather angry. Having to spend another $50 after shipping to get matching screws. :facepalm:
damnyouek.jpg

Mmmmm. Shade 19, where have you been my entire life?
titaniumblackshade19.jpg

shade19ftw.jpg

Crimped the new 24-pin. DSLR battery had died so I used my iPhone to take the pic. :blush:
crimped.jpg

Shade 19 + Grand Bleu.
new24pin.jpg

_MG_1933.jpg

_MG_1923.jpg

Cut off all the tabs off the sides of the 5.25" bays. They looked awful. I plan get some panels cut to cover up the sides of the bays.
_MG_1967.jpg

Using my trusty nibbler to make it more cable management friendly. Also tapped a few new holes for cable management clips. Still have a bit to do here as you can see.
_MG_1968.jpg

Did a few cuts in order to get the radiator to fit.
_MG_1959.jpg

Yes! xD
_MG_1965.jpg

Barely fits. Already putting a lot of pressure on the connector.
_MG_1960.jpg

Test fitting one of the cards.
_MG_1966.jpg

That is all for now. :canadianwave:

Last edited:

Spikemaul

Simply Amazing!!! I really wish you would start selling custom sleeved extensions as they are absolutely stunning.

Last edited:

SKYMTL

HardwareCanuck Review Editor
Staff member
I have to ask: what kind of camera + lens combo are you using?

Xeven

Very nice lowfat, looking forward to seeing the whole thing completed. :thumb:

SKYMTL: I think he's using a Canon EOS Rebel T3i + EF-S18-55mm IS II.

Latest posts