What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Completed lowfat's Big Lian Li.

hero1

It was very easy to do. I just used a 1/4in drill bit. Aluminum needs to be 2mm or thicker though.

I see. I bought 2mm thick aluminium pieces for the case.

I am thinking about grabbing the button head M4 screws and if not then I definitely will countersink the top and back panel mounting holes.

lowfat

Staff member
I see. I bought 2mm thick aluminium pieces for the case.

I am thinking about grabbing the button head M4 screws and if not then I definitely will countersink the top and back panel mounting holes.

I definitely think countersunk is the way to go. It IMO looks a lot cleaner and really only takes a couple of seconds to do.

Still working on the backplate. A few WIP macros.

lowfat

Staff member
A few pics from my Alaska trip. Link is there if you want to see the other ~100 pics.

(I'm on the far left)

Alaska Trip Photos by tulcakelume | Photobucket

And now back to modding. Unfortunately I am still working on cleaning up the metalwork. Everything I think I am getting close to being done I find myself being unhappy w/ something else. After finishing this round of sanding I should in theory only need one more round of patching.

Inik

Folding Team
Alaska is nice! Been there 2 weeks when my uncle was living in fairbanks!

lowfat

Staff member
Modifying a 120mm Gentle Typhoon to fit 140mm radiators.

Equipment required:
- Gentle Typhoon
- Bitspower / Bgears 120 to 140mm fan adapter
- painters tape
- hacksaw
- glue
- clamps
- heatgun

1.Take a stock GT.
export-19-9.jpg

2.Heat up the hub of the fan. Use high heat and a lot of it all over to loosen the glue.
export-18-9.jpg

3. Pull blades off of GT. Takes a bit of force. Easier if the hub was nice and hot.
export-17-9.jpg

4. Cover up the fan motor w/ some painting tape to prevent all the plastic crap from getting inside. Then take a hacksaw to the side of the fan. Do all 4 sides until the two pieces come apart.
export-25-6.jpg

export-29-7.jpg

5. You'll need to cut a hole for the fan cable to passthrough the 140mm adapter. I screwed the fan together w/ a nut so I made sure to cut the whole at the right spot.
export-24-6.jpg

export-28-5.jpg

6. Glue the two pieces together. Put the glue around the screw holes on the fan body. Then clamp it together. I used glue instead of screws due to clearance issues.
export-31-5.jpg

I am not sure if there is a drop in performance or not but I was still getting sufficient air through the radiator afterward.

And a few pics of fan before I moved to glue.
export-20-9.jpg

export-21-9.jpg

Comparing the new modded GT to the original + adapter.
export-23-6.jpg