What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Lynnfield to Haswell for gaming? Or wait....

FtGF

Ok so my system is a mix and match of the last few years. It was originally built in 09 but I have upgraded parts here and there. I have an EVGA P55 FTW with a 750@4.0ghz running a GTX 770. I only care about gaming performance really. Would it be worth it to upgrade to say a MAXIMUS VI HERO or Evga z87 ftw with a 4770k? Am I missing out on anything or should I wait until Haswell-E and beyond? Any advice would be appreciated. Right now I'm playing a lot of BF4 but I play everything. Running a 1920x1200 display. Not planning on upgrading displays until I can see what G-Sync really has to offer. Also most likely just running a single card for now.

Thanks!

Last edited:

SugarJ

Staff member
Folding Team
What kind of FPS are you getting? Do you notice any stutter or lag? How's your CPU usage while using BF4?

What I'm getting at is that unless you are currently maxing out your CPU while gaming, you likely wouldn't see a lot of benefit. However, at a rough guess the current generation would probably provide a 30% increase in CPU power. But if you don't need the CPU your best upgrade is probably to a SSD if you don't have one.

DBGP

I have the same question. I have my 930 @4ghz with an Asus P6T. Havent upgraded the cpu/mobo in 3 years and im starting to get the urge again but is it really worth it?? I also play at 1920 and have a gtx 770.

FtGF

Average game on BF4 on Ultra at 1920x1200. Now the 91 might be from the deploy screen but without vsync it maintains around 60-65. The question is my cpu a bottleneck? Am I losing min frames or whatever. I know it's not necessarily an easy question. I'm just wondering what a Haswell does for gaming from a 5 year old platform.

Frames Time (ms) Min Max Avg
23026 350062 48 91 65.777

Last edited:

Jim

What kind of FPS are you getting? Do you notice any stutter or lag? How's your CPU usage while using BF4?

What I'm getting at is that unless you are currently maxing out your CPU while gaming, you likely wouldn't see a lot of benefit. However, at a rough guess the current generation would probably provide a 30% increase in CPU power. But if you don't need the CPU your best upgrade is probably to a SSD if you don't have one.
great points,how does ssd improve BF4 ?

FtGF

ssd only improves load times. Anyways my board is only sata2 and I'm fine waiting. Don't want to get a Sata3 pcie card.

Jim

ssd only improves load times. Anyways my board is only sata2 and I'm fine waiting. Don't want to get a Sata3 pcie card.
cool thought so,just returning to pc gaming after a long time with consoles,yea to your question on the hunt for Intel cpu also

draemn

I have the same question. I have my 930 @4ghz with an Asus P6T. Havent upgraded the cpu/mobo in 3 years and im starting to get the urge again but is it really worth it?? I also play at 1920 and have a gtx 770.
Unless you love playing CPU limited games that mostly work on 2 cores, your 930 will keep you going until it dies :punk:. With that CPU and GPU, you're better spending your money on SSD/RAM if you don't alredy have enough.

Dzzope

Recently upgraded from a i7 950 to a 3770k, Havn't overclocked yet but performance is similar. Reason for upgrade was heat and my (now ex) gf needed a rig to do photoshop, redering etc on.

If just gaming there is very little reason to upgrade, especially if your happy with the performance.

FtGF

^Thanks for the feedback. Really I guess it would make very little difference from all that I have been reading. Maybe Haswell-E or Broadwell so I can have Sata3 at least. We will see.

Latest posts