What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

MAC DDR laptop mem in an Intel based laptop?

sswilson

Staff member
Has anybody here tried PC5300 sodimms from a MAC on an intel based laptop?

I'm not sure I'd want to try going from Intel to MAC (they seem pretty damn picky about stuff... :) ), but what about the other direction?

I'm looking for a definitive answer via google, but would appreciate a first-hand answer from somebody who knows for sure. :)

MushkinNick

Manufacturer Rep
They should work. Macs tend to be a lot more picky about their memory than PC's. I think the stock modules from my Macbook are running in someones laptop around the office.

So Memory from PC->Mac can be a lot tougher than Mac->PC. The exception this being memory for the DDR2-based Mac Pro's because it uses a big ol' heatsink that won't fit in most servers.

sswilson

Staff member
Thanks for the answer. Can't get much more definitive than an answer from a memory rep. :)

MushkinNick

Manufacturer Rep
Heeh, thats more an answer from my personal experience fixing the little buggers. :) Mac doesn't really make their own memory (as proven by the fact that we used to sell to them), but they do tend to design their systems around a certain chip brand (Samsung, Hynix, etc...) so sometimes you can run generic stuff from a PC in a Mac, but it tends to be a crapshoot as far as luck.

Also, why does that picture in your Avatar look so dang familiar?

sswilson

Staff member
Heeh, thats more an answer from my personal experience fixing the little buggers. :) Mac doesn't really make their own memory (as proven by the fact that we used to sell to them), but they do tend to design their systems around a certain chip brand (Samsung, Hynix, etc...) so sometimes you can run generic stuff from a PC in a Mac, but it tends to be a crapshoot as far as luck.

Also, why does that picture in your Avatar look so dang familiar?

Are you from New Brunswick? That's a pic of my new favorite cartoon character Acadieman.

I posted a few links for our friends in Quebec so that they could enjoy the unique NB dialect, but I don't think they appreciated it. :)

http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/off-topic/12661-franglais-anybody.html

MushkinNick

Manufacturer Rep

sswilson

Staff member
Wouldn't be from me then. This is the only forum I use this Avatar on.

It's pretty popular on the local college scene though so I suppose it's entirely possible that somebody else from New Brunswick is using it as an Avatar.

Latest posts