What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Mac Pro Tower tops out at $53,000! Oh, and don't forget a stand for your monitor...that will be $1,000 extra please

Bond007

Per the title. While impressive in some ways, you then look at the price tag and pass out. I know this isn't meant for general public use, but really Apple? The Apple tax is extra strong on this one.

Eight core base model for $6k, monitor starting at $5k (+$1k if you want a stand or another $1k for anti-reflective coating). Keep ticking the boxes and you top out at $53,247.98 USD!

lowfat

Staff member
I'm not apple fan, but the display is leaps and bounds better than any consumer display @ colour reproduction, a lot cheaper than other alternatives. Their 1.5TB upgrade of LR-DIMMs is actually cheap af. The processor prices don't seem off either. That is Intel gouging there. Some things are definitely expensive upgrades, but not all of it.

ipaine

I'm not apple fan, but the display is leaps and bounds better than any consumer display @ colour reproduction, a lot cheaper than other alternatives. Their 1.5TB upgrade of LR-DIMMs is actually cheap af. The processor prices don't seem off either. That is Intel gouging there. Some things are definitely expensive upgrades, but not all of it.
I agree the specs for that monitor do look down right amazing, but is it really cheaper than an alternative? And that said, don't forget $1000 for a stand, just a stand with height adjust, you know like you can get on a $200 monitor. Oh and and extra $200 for VESA mount support, so really the monitor is at least $5200 if you want to use a stand you already have and $6000 if you want their stand. That is not even mentioning the anti-reflective version that is another $1000. I mean $7000 for a monitor just seems way too much, even for the specs.

But the machine itself, is over priced for what you get. And that is at both ends, the "cheap" and expensive ends. $6000 for the base is a huge rip off in every sense of the word. And frankly the only area where this machine beats something I can build for significantly less is in amount of memory supported. Of course if you want to spend that much then you would be way way better off building a Epyc system. I mean a supermicro board with dual Epyc 7702's installed is $15000 and that is 128 core with support for 2tb ram. Add 1tb of ram (which is only about $4400 for 16x64gb ECC 2933, so way less than apple is charging) and 2 Quadro RTX 8000 cards and you are looking at about $31250, for significantly more horsepower for close to the same amount of money.

CMetaphor

Quadfather
Garbage overpricing on prebuilt hardware is the *Exact* reason I earned my title here. It was a "high end" custom build company offering a quad socket opteron home server for (I think) around 9k. I built a PC just as fast for 3k, indirectly shaming them.

So someone needs to do the same here. I really, really don't have the money nowadays, but 50k for a Mac is just being idiotic. Apple is such a crooked company, pretending to be a company aimed at everyone while overcharging for less-than-great hardware. It's just sickening. The greed and ridiculousness of it all. If I could, I'd gladly build a faster Epyc system and laugh in Apple's face with it.

Oh, and I disagree about the monitor: you can get cheaper non-apple displays with the same or better features. As much as I hate them for their PCs and laptops, I have to begrudgingly admit that Dell's professional monitors are superb and definitely cost less than these silly Apple ones. A quick quick search of their site found this : https://www.dell.com/en-ca/work/shop/dell-ultrasharp-32-8k-monitor-up3218k/apd/210-alez/monitors-monitor-accessories

... But there are dozens of other options as well. Personally, I'd get their 55 inch OLED 4k screen if I had thousands to spend on a monitor. Those that have seen OLED in person know what I'm on about: it puts Every other display type to shame, easily.

Sorry. Rant over.

Entz

Just don't look at the price of HP Z8s :p You can get those up to 100k .

It is silly from an Apple point of view though. Editing youtube videos and touching up intsagram photos doesn't need a 53k rig ;)