What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Macs at McMaster University

netforce

So, I'm going back to McMaster university next month to finish up my engineering degree. I decided to go to the on campus technical library (thode) to scan a document since my crappy Epson AIO broke. I havn't been at the library in about a year, but thought nothing has changed... well.. i was wrong. They redecorated!
I walked in to a big library filled with 100's of 24" new aluminum iMacs and Mac Pro's. The whole place looks like an Apple Store! Full of smug people and all :)
I really don't like Apple Stores! :angry2:
I can't understand why a university would need such expencive computers. Good old dells are enough to do research on!
Now i have to study in an Apple Store, thinking why my tuition keeps going up! :censored:!

Here are some pics..
Thode Renovation

netforce

hundreds? looks like they said 70 desktops +30 lappies (but the latter available for loan)

This chair looks so awful >_<
http://thodereno.blog.lib.mcmaster.ca/files/2008/09/thode_reno.jpg

Slap whoever did that redo for me please.

Lol, maybe not 100's, but i didn't stick around long enough to count them. But i'm pretty sure they could have gotten 100's of dell pc's for the price they payed. It makes more sense to provide more computer access to students, than having stylish computers!
There were macs everywhere man! Everywhere!!! People on unibody macbooks! People on MacPro's... iMacs! It was scary...
It really did feel like a mac store.
I personally own a 3 year old macbook that's i curse at every day. But this was too much. I never thought my school would sell out like that.

Cptn Vortex

Heck 24" Sammies with some eee Box's strapped to the backs would be cheaper, cooler and suck 90% less power.... what were they thinking??? They should have given me a call...

netforce

I don't see why you are complaining. Its not like they are underpowered machines or anything.

No, they're great machines... but i just wish my school would use their budget in a more responsible way. There are better things to spend money on than making the school look cool by buying macs.

M

member 3099

No, they're terrible machines... i just wish my school would use their budget in a more responsible way. There are better things to spend money on than making the school look stupid by buying macs.
Yep!!!

Chilly

fryseewhatyoudidthere.jpg

chrisk

Folding Captain
You would hope that they got a decent deal on them.

Places like this are kinda funny actually. The decision was probably made to buy these by a manager who saw the commercials, who has a Mac fanboi on the IT staff. The conversation probably went something like 'we need new computers for our updated library, for doing research and scanning pictures,' and the IT guy said 'get some Macs', and the manager thought 'I hear they are good for doing image editing work (ahem scanning) and I heard they don't get viruses and work better than Vista.' Macs feel hip and young, while PCs feel old and clunky to me.

On a slightly more serious note, many people using these machines won't know how to screw with them, being Windows users, which has advantages in a public setting where you want them to do just a few tasks. I wonder if they had to tender a contract which ties them into Macs?

Latest posts