What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Macs Overpriced?

Nevakonaza

Why are Macs so expensive?...id love one myself but i fail to see whats so good about them to make them so expensive?

For what you get,Spec wise that is....you could build a decent gaming machine.

Neolithium_Wpg

Lots of macs use server grade hardware, plus tac on the AppleTax so Steve Jobs has the backup fund for another replacement liver, and you have yourself a Mac Pricetag.

Edit - As stupid as I think most of their practices are, I gotta admit I hit the Apple store this weekend taking a peek around and dodging the black turtleneck cult - er, sales staff; and found the MacBook Pro refreshes actually pretty goddamn nice....and I'm probably gonna get one for my next notebook purchase.

*ducks and covers* :ph34r:

belgolas

Ya I was thinking of getting a 15" macbook but then I looked at the price and I could get a 17" 4870 blueray laptop from ASUS for LESS. They make good quality hardware but they just don't offer anything cheaper portable. $1000 for the macbook is WAY too expensive for what you get with it.

Though one could always argue that you pay for the OS.

Neolithium_Wpg

Ya I was thinking of getting a 15" macbook but then I looked at the price and I could get a 17" 4870 blueray laptop from ASUS for LESS. They make good quality hardware but they just don't offer anything cheaper portable. $1000 for the macbook is WAY too expensive for what you get with it.

Though one could always argue that you pay for the OS.

I dunno, buying a copy of Snow Leopard is pretty damn cheap compared to a Microsoft OS. I quite like the Core i7 15" MBP....and unfortunately as embarassing as it is, the damn thing exceeds my current gaming rig in performance at BC2....:blarg:

Arinoth

Staff member
Its the fact its an all in one system that is relatively easy to use for the basic user. iMacs for instance are the entire PC minus the keyboard and mouse, they dont take up a lot of space and are esthetically pleasing (as are most of the mac pcs). People will buy macs if they dont have a lot of computer experience and want something that is supposed to give them less hassle then a pc would. I would get my mom a mac for the sole purpose of not having to have to deal with emails or phone calls on 'how to do this' or 'the pc is telling/warning us this'. I on the other hand wouldnt buy one for myself or those who know/have indepth knowledge of computers for the fact that its not as useful for gaming, for programming (most business run programs that are on the microsoft .net platform and the fact its easier to access in the C language family hardware then it is in macs), as well as the business would and well engineering.

Its all about creating a market niche and apple has done that with their macs. Its the same thing with the blackberry versus other smart phones. They aren't number one in the consumer end but on the business side you'll find almost no company that uses smart phones where their employees don't have a blackberry as they are the most secure smart phones and their business enterprise server adds to this security for businesses. The iPhone may be one of the more popular consumer phones but it is the least secure smart phone on the market.

Since we've had issues in the past with mac/apple threads getting out of hand this is the only warning anyone will be getting in here. Anything deemed inappropriate will see the user receiving an infraction

AkG

Lots of mac used to have server grade hardware. This was back in the PPC days, now they are no better then any of the other all in one kit from the other major PC mfg'ers... and can in fact be worse then some. Your paying the preimium for brand name (after all that mega advertising budget has to come from SOMEWHERE!) and the over all aesthetics of it, not the "robust" hardware. Software is another thing all together but dont fool yourself into thinking that the hardware never fails, or even fails less then any of the other big boys out there.

Thund3rball

Let me put it to you this way; some companies work to make products cheaper, others work to make them more expensive. I believe someone from Apple actually said that but I can't remember who/when.

gingerbee

mac sells image....
hell i almost bought an ipad
edit just a thought are things really getting that outta hand that mods now threaten threads. :haha: sad if that's the case.

Polygon

I agree that they are sold for being easy, simple, clean and elegant. I'd certainly like to own a macbook if I had the money.

Perineum

Yes they are overpriced.

If you have Widget A, and it's $5.95 and then you see Widget B for $7.50 it's fairly obvious that Widget B is better, right?

Pricing structure adds to the "Mac is better hardware myth". Actual fact is that companies like Asus and Nvidia supply the build/components, no different from HP and Dell.