What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Macs Overpriced?

lowfat

Staff member
Are you sure that the Macbook Pro uses a an IPS panel? They typically have not.

The Latitude E6510 currently is currently on sale for $1399; a typical Dell sale. I think a notebook with comparable specs and build quality can be found for close to half the price as the Macbook Pro.

I honestly believe I could find examples where Mac hardware is over twice as much as a similar product from another company, but don't have the inclination to do so right now.

Now build up the E5610 so it has comparable options as the MBP. Stock it doesn't come anywhere close. Resolution too low, smaller hard drive, less ram, crappy Intel GPU, no bluetooth, no backlit keyboard, crappier CPU.

But you are right I was mistaken about the IPS. It seems the MBP's as of yet still use TN panels.

Perineum

They made it up to dual processor 2.7GHz and 2x dual core 2.5GHz 'quad' models eventually. They were overclocked and watercooled. :p

The so called G5 was actually an IBM 970 if I recall. The G5 term was marketing.

Shame about the PPC series though, I think the designs made a lot of sense. However, when the only people that use them is embedded electronics for robotics, the Mac and the Amiga it still probably doesn't see 5% of what Intel or AMD does for sales. No money to push development... :sad:

MacJunky

The dual 2.7 machines used the 970FX and the 2.5 dualdual machines were using the 790MP.
And the G4s used in Macs were 74xx, G3s used in Macs were 75x.
Macs also used various versions of the PPC 601, 603 and 604.

*Edit
I have never had a G5, nor do I really want one. *shrug*
They are neat, but still pretty meh imo. The case does not have enough drive bays and the motherboard does not have as many slots as I would want. (either AGP&PCI-X or PCI-E depending on model)
And you have to make sure you pickup a higher end machine because the boards that are used in the slow ones, have a just four RAM slots vs the eight that the faster ones have. :S (actually, I seem to recall that the last one "Late 2005", the one with dual core CPUs across the board does also have 8 slots on all variants. it also uses DDR2 instead of DDR1 that was used on the older models. This is the only one with PCI-E, it is the one you want if you wanna snag a G5)
They are also insanely expensive on sites like ebay. >_<

*Edit
Oh yea and since you want a fast one, the early watercooling systems leaked. The revised ones were generally ok it seems.

Last edited:

SneakySnake

What a total load of shit

Pretty easy to design an OS around hardware that doesn't change or hardly changes at all.

Conversely, try and design an OS that has to be adaptable for a billion or so hardware combinations, yet be good enough not to take the whole system down when something goes wrong.

What you just said is total shit! [/sarcasm] seriously mate, it doesnt help flame wars when you open posts like that.

Your correct in saying that it's way easier to design an OS that only has to cater to have 10 different hardware configerations, but it's a fallacy to think that that falsifies the statement that it's a more stable OS.

Yes it's easier to make, but it's still stabler.

I honestly believe I could find examples where Mac hardware is over twice as much as a similar product from another company, but don't have the inclination to do so right now.

If your gonna make statements like that then you pretty much have to back them up. I can post something like "I honestly believe that my macbook rapes all gaming pc's, because it is a mac. I don't feel like showing any performance numbers though, cuz I don't want to." but that doesn't mean its a true statement. ;)

Last edited:

_dangtx_

Banned
what would take to get you kids in the cool zone...candy? beer? a good ole beating? :D

macs are nice,expensive and not for everyone. thats the bottom line.

m1dget

What a total load of shit

Pretty easy to design an OS around hardware that doesn't change or hardly changes at all.

Conversely, try and design an OS that has to be adaptable for a billion or so hardware combinations, yet be good enough not to take the whole system down when something goes wrong.

I just saw that and I find it quite funny... you sir need to get some OS design books or documentation and see where you stopped making sense in there :haha:

Before you go out and insult or tell me that I have no idea of what zzzZZZ... I have one clue for you: Abstraction.

Have fun :thumb:

Perineum

I just saw that and I find it quite funny... you sir need to get some OS design books or documentation and see where you stopped making sense in there :haha:

Before you go out and insult or tell me that I have no idea of what zzzZZZ... I have one clue for you: Abstraction.

Have fun :thumb:

I have one statement for you. Ready?

I completely annihilated you in our earlier conversations. You complained bitterly when I backed it up with links with proof. You claimed that all I did was use Google as some sort of device to fuel my arguments. Eventually you even flipped out and got infractions due to bad behavior.

The problem that you have is that I have multiple certifications by Apple and you do not.

Of course I do see you sending links to people now, like enaberif earlier, and that's apparently okay.

Of all the opinions going around on threads like these yours is one of the few that does not actually help the side you are trying to defend.

So, yeah...... Have fun:thumb:

m1dget

I completely annihilated you in our earlier conversations.

laughable and pointless statement...

The problem that you have is that I have multiple certifications by Apple and you do not.

here we go again hiding behind something proving nothing more than you were able to endure a Q&A cert preparation book you bought used on amazon and then had to money to take a test...

Of course I do see you sending links to people now, like enaberif earlier, and that's apparently okay.

If you really have no clue of where to start for your little research to enlightenment, well here's here's the second part of the term: "Hardware".
So now you have Abstraction, Hardware and there's a third one I will let you search for.

And instead of a link (which I'm going to post in my next post for you), I will even arrange them in the good order for you... "Hardware Abstraction _______"