What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Manually Picking Cell Frequency Bands

moocow

I'm on Freedom Mobile and it sucks major buffalo balls at my house. I'm using a Samsung J7 with Band 4 and Band 66 but my signal still sucks. I then switch to an iPhone 6 with Band 13 and there's no improvement to the signal strength. Is there an app on Android that can force the phone to pick which frequency band the phone uses. I got Signal Spy installed right now and it's showing I'm on Band 3, which doesn't even make sense since Freedom don't use Band 3.

Cannon Fodder

I don't know about manually picking frequency bands, but is it possible that Signal Spy is showing Band 3 because you're located in one of the areas(check their coverage map) that Freedom doesn't cover directly?

That said, I was thinking about giving Freedom a try, since I get spotty reception at our place using Lucky Mobile, and Freedom's coverage map looks good around here..... whether or not it actually is, remains to be seen. :confused:

moocow

I think Signal Spy may not be able to understand Band 66. I fired up Network Cell Info Lite and it recognize Band 66 correctly. I think it's a problem with the phone or the network because I notice it dumb itself down to 3G Band 4 and it got better reception. However, the phone keep hopping from tower to tower and I'm sitting a home. So either they got crappy placement or my house is at a weird location that nothing is getting thru.

Twitter