What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Mass Effect Legendary Edition and new series entry

FreeKnight

Question from a Mass Effect noob: lots of talk here about the classes/roles/paths; is this game one where you can "do it wrong" or are any of the options feasible?

I ask because in most large RPGs or similar, if there is a way to do it wrong I will pick it! :D Mostly because I'm too casual and don't dig deep enough into the systems. Just curious what I should be expecting when I get into this one.
The core of the game doesn't change much between classes and any option is feasible. In ME1 there's the least functional difference between classes as the systems are a little simpler, it mostly changes the powers you have and what will be your biggest damage dealers. In ME 2-3 the classes feel more different from each other but it mostly changes how you approach dealing out damage. A soldier focuses on weapon damage and has a 'slow-mo' function in 2-3 to allow you to get head shots. A Adept can still play the same, but you get a lot more crowd control powers. A vanguard is about getting in the enemies face quickly and blasting them with a shotgun. Engineers are basically an adept but with tech grenades/powers instead of space woo etc.

You don't really have to worry about the systems in this series, they're present but it's not overly complicated or arcane. Just choose what you think you'll like and for your first couple of missions choose squadmates that cover the roles your Shepard doesn't. If you're a soldier you'll want one adept and one engineer or at least their hybrid classes so for an Engineer you can pick a sentinel and an adept can be replaced with a vanguard etc.

It's such an easy game to pick up and play that you really don't have to worry about it. Squadmates can be swapped on the regular and you used to be able to change class when you changed to the next entry in the series if I remember correctly so you don't necessarily get stuck with a class you don't love for all three games.

Lysrin

Started up a new game. First one looks pretty darn good I'd say. Won't mind playing it at all with the graphics as they look. I made an Infiltrator... I love sniping :) Should have likely gone Soldier for ease of play first time, but ah well.

What's the deal with the Legendary leveling vs the Classic XP leveling? I left it on Legendary. Think it reduces the total levels to 1-30 vs 1-60 compared to the classic?

Anyway, lunch over, back to work ;)

FreeKnight

Loaded up fine. First impression; Native PC controller support. Thank the gods. I'll be securely bonded to my couch this weekend playing on the TV.
Started up a new game. First one looks pretty darn good I'd say. Won't mind playing it at all with the graphics as they look. I made an Infiltrator... I love sniping :) Should have likely gone Soldier for ease of play first time, but ah well.

What's the deal with the Legendary leveling vs the Classic XP leveling? I left it on Legendary. Think it reduces the total levels to 1-30 vs 1-60 compared to the classic?

Anyway, lunch over, back to work ;)
As far as I can tell it's basically 'cosmetic math' on Classic you follow the same leveling as the original. 1 Point per level for 60 levels. For Legendary you'll only get to 30 levels but you'll get 2 points per level. The 'pace' you get skill points might change a bit, but it's functionally the same either way.

In ME2-3 they revised the levelling system so 30 was the cap in ME2 and you could get up to 60 in ME3. I'm assuming they've changed the scaling so it falls more in line with ME2-3. Bear in mind in 2-3 the power system was substantially changed so even when importing your ME1 character you weren't maxed out in ME2, same thing importing to ME3.

If you find yourself not 'loving' the planetary exploration of ME1, or the gameplay, I'd look at maps to allow you to find the 'essentials' faster. While I love ME1 it's a little less polished and 'quickly playable' compared to ME2-3. But sticking around for 2-3 is totally worth it. They're f'ing spectacular. You also gain a lot more character insight and backstory by playing through 1, whereas say in Witcher 2 you could entirely skip Witcher 1 and really not feel like you missed a ton.

ipaine

I am sitting here waiting for work to finish in an hour and a half so I can start.

I mean it is not like I haven't played it all before, heck did a full 1-3 playthrough last year with mods, but I am really interested to see the changes and polish on them. And frankly I am eager for my femshep to actually look like the same person throughout all three games.

Lysrin

Am I the only one in the world that never played ME? Heh.
Well, I'm close to where you are. I'm thinking I might have played an hour or two of ME1 when it was first released? I have ME2 in my Origin library but never played it. So this is really a brand new game, well three brand new games for me!

Latest posts

Twitter