What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

mATX mobo suggestions to match to my 5600X?

Mr. Friendly

I managed to sell my B550M-A/CSM, which will let me get something a bit more on the ball for what I'm after.

budget: $200 ish
has to be mATX as it's going into a Define Mini C.
brand doesn't matter
2nd Gen B450 mobo's preferred, the refreshes done after the B550 came out. I will consider B550, but don't need PCIe 4.0 or the premium it adds to the price. I want the upgraded / solid VRM the refresh boards come with. if B550, no mobo with an active cooler on chipset.
dual M.2 SSD support. I've got a couple 1TB Kingston A2000 PCIe 3.0 x2 SSD's to install (another reason why B450 is fine...only x2 SSD)
no LEDs
I don't plan to OC the CPU, just the RAM...which is two 16GB (2x 8GB) kits of Corsair LPX 3000mhz RAM. if color matters, they're blue
lots of USB 3.0 ports on the back I/O
my OCD says only HDMI and DP for video output, no DVI or VGA (like the B550M-A/CSM has)
built in wifi / Bluetooth isn't needed, but may be a nice add-on (I only need Bt and already bought the Asus BT500 dongle)
GTX 970 is the GPU I've got right now...but plan to upgrade to a RTX 3050 Ti or RX 6500 XT once they're released
auto-BIOS update without CPU would be nice, same with BIOS reset (if memory OC goes bunk)
and if it matters, for memory clearance issues, I'll be using a Noctua NH-U12S.

feel free to ask questions if you need clarification for anything.

sswilson

Staff member
Do you have access to a 3/2XXX ryzen? If not, the sans-cpu bios flash option is almost a must.

Top of your range, but the egg's got the MSI MAG B550M Mortar @ $199. Looks like it's even got an internal type C header. I'm not sure if you're going to find a mATX board in your price range with "lots of USB3 ports on the back I/O", you may need to consider grabbing a hub for that.

On the cheaper side of things, the asrock B450M Steel Legend caught my eye when I was looking at mATX boards. Currently running @ $120.

Mr. Friendly

Do you have access to a 3/2XXX ryzen? If not, the sans-cpu bios flash option is almost a must.

Top of your range, but the egg's got the MSI MAG B550M Mortar @ $199. Looks like it's even got an internal type C header. I'm not sure if you're going to find a mATX board in your price range with "lots of USB3 ports on the back I/O", you may need to consider grabbing a hub for that.

On the cheaper side of things, the asrock B450M Steel Legend caught my eye when I was looking at mATX boards. Currently running @ $120.

the second gen B450 boards should be flashed for Zen 3. alas, the B450M Steel Legend doesn't have dual M.2 NVMe slots...the second one on it is SATA3 only. but both the MSI B450M and B550M Mortar Max are good looking candidates. price difference is minimal...so the B550 model or it's wifi variant seem to be the better value.

seems the Gigabyte B550M Aorus Pro and Pro-P (has 2.5Gbe NIC) are also good candidates.

Asus only has the TUF GAMING B550M-PLUS...none of their second gen B450 support dual M.2.

Last edited:

SugarJ

Staff member
Folding Team
the second gen B450 boards should be flashed for Zen 3.
Don't count on that. My brand new X570 board had to be flashed, I'd highly recommend a board with Asus Bios Flashback unless you have a 2xxx or 3xxx cpu handy.

Check the Asus Tuf B550M-Plus. It's $12 more at Amazon than the B550M Mortar, and that Bios Flashback without a CPU on board is worth the price of admission.

sswilson

Staff member
the second gen B450 boards should be flashed for Zen 3. alas, the B450M Steel Legend doesn't have dual M.2 NVMe slots...the second one on it is SATA3 only. but both the MSI B450M and B550M Mortar Max are good looking candidates. price difference is minimal...so the B550 model or it's wifi variant seem to be the better value.

I wouldn't count on any board being ready to accept Zen 3. The B550 I got during the lead up to Christmas certainly wasn't. Gen 2 B450 boards are probably flashed to accept 3XXX series processors, not 5XXX.

sswilson

Staff member
Don't count on that. My brand new X570 board had to be flashed, I'd highly recommend a board with Asus Bios Flashback unless you have a 2xxx or 3xxx cpu handy.

Check the Asus Tuf B550M-Plus. It's $12 more at Amazon than the B550M Mortar, and that Bios Flashback without a CPU on board is worth the price of admission.

Pretty sure the Mortar has the bios flashback option.

Bond007

I would lean towards b550 Mortar. Well reviewed board, with a good feature set, vram, design, and no major weaknesses (that I am aware of).

Mr. Friendly

I'm leaning towards the Gigabyte B550M Aorus Pro-P as it has a LOT of USB ports, 1x HDMI and 1x DP, BIOS flash feature and it's $180.00 on Newegg.

djbrad

Warning. Look at the egg reviews. Not stable with USB 3 issues.