What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

mATX mobo suggestions to match to my 5600X?

sswilson

Staff member
The other thing to pay attention to is whether or not you intend to populate the second PCIe X16/8 slot on a B550 motherboard. There are only so many lanes to play with (pretty much the main downside to B550 vs X570) and different boards go about how to pare down other functions if you lose those lanes to a second 16/8 card. (Most seem to drop a few Sata ports, OTOH, my Tomahawk downgrades the second M.2 slot)

Marzipan

Prince Rupert, British Columbia, Canuckistan
I only intend to put in an entry level mid-range GPU into the machine once the next gen come out and since I have a dedicated DAC / Amp for my audio, no worries about a sound card. the only thing to consider would be whether I wanted wifi at a later date, if I don't get a board with wifi already there.

sswilson

Staff member
Wifi could be run off of one of the 1X ports so that shouldn't affect the lanes available for other stuff.

Marzipan

other than Asus, did anyone else do a refresh on their B450 motherboards? I thought others did...but Google is only giving me results for Asus and nobody else.

the TUF Gaming B450M-Pro II is also a candidate. it had BIOS flashback and dual M.2 NVMe SSD support.

and I realize that I have a Corsair 270R case, so I 'could' go with a full ATX board like the TUF GAMING B450-PLUS II too. or maybe a B550 with three M.2 NVMe SSD support.

oh gods...my brain is waffling and spinning out of control!

le sigh. shoot me now. :p

Last edited:

JD

Staff member
MSI refreshed their B450's with the "Max" naming. I wouldn't recommend B450 for a 5600X though, it really isn't designed for it. I'd only get a B450 if you are really strapped for cash.

If you want triple NVMe, I think you'd be better off with a X570 as the chipset has some extra lanes. Price of a mid-range B550 and entry-X570 is about the same.

Marzipan

okay, my brain has regained composure. the Gb B550M Aorus Pro-P is my preferred board still.

I realized that I can easily sell my 270R for cheap locally than try to recoup retail on my Define Mini C that's NiB. return freight from Rupert would cause to great a loss, so that's not an option.

I also realized that if I wanted more than 2 M.2 NVMe SSD's, like what some B550 / X570 ATX boards provide...I could use a NVMe riser card in the second x16 slot that works at PCIe 3.0 x4 speeds and add a couple more NVMe x2 SSD's like my Kingston A2000's. unless I missed something, I didn't see any notes about the second x16 (x4) slot downgrading when the second M.2 slot is used...so I could theoretically have four M.2 NVMe SSD's, I think.

does anyone know of any 2TB PCIe 3.0 x2 SSD's?

@JD X570 isn't really an option as there is only one mATX board and it's well over my $200 ish budget. but thanks for the suggestion! it would allow for a lot more M.2 SSD's in the second x16 slot though... ;)

edit - Gb seems to have left a big hole in their mATX B550 options...nothing with WiFi.

Last edited:

Marzipan

I wouldn't recommend B450 for a 5600X though, it really isn't designed for it. I'd only get a B450 if you are really strapped for cash.
can you elaborate? every other chipset has been forward and backwards compatible up to this one, which is end of the line for the AM4 socket. these B450 refreshes from Asus / MSI were made just for the Zen 3 CPU's.

JD

Staff member
B550 gets you PCIe 4.0 support, dual PCIe NVMe, and generally better VRM setup. If you have $200, the B550 has a lot more longevity in it than B450, you could even run a Ryzen APU down the road (if they hit consumer channel) should you want to.

IMO the B450 refreshes were just a last ditch effort to unload inventory as B550 was so delayed. I don't think Zen 3 really performs well on them.

sswilson

Staff member
Wasn't the initial plan that B450 wouldn't support Zen 3 at all? Just that alone should be enough to convince you that the bios support on them for Zen 3 is mostly cludged together and more about letting folks use their old motherboard with the new processor line than it is about producing new hardware to be paired with a 5XXX processor.

Sagath

Staff member
Folding Team
Wasn't the initial plan that B450 wouldn't support Zen 3 at all? Just that alone should be enough to convince you that the bios support on them for Zen 3 is mostly cludged together and more about letting folks use their old motherboard with the new processor line than it is about producing new hardware to be paired with a 5XXX processor.
This is correct.

Latest posts