What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

mATX system

perfecto

Just had my AGP video card (geforce 9800 GT) kick the bucket on my previous machine, so I'm looking into building a micro-ATX box instead of hunting everywhere for a new AGP video card which won't kill me performance-wise.

PC is used for some gaming but nothing really crazy. I will probably overclock it, just because it's fun - and I prefer Intel over AMD. I'd like to stay under 850 if possible, looking to do the job with inexpensive quality parts. Will be buying all of my parts from NCI and pricematching.

The object here is to use my existing DVD-R drive, monitor, and nothing else.

Here's what I've got so far :

Thermaltake Lanbox Lite (86.87)
Core i5 2500k (238.99)
Asus P8P67-M motherboard (125.98)
G.Skill F3-12800Cl2D 2x4gb DDR3 (116.98)
Thermaltake TRX-650M power supply (79.99)
WD Caviar 1TB SATA drive (64.98)

Any thoughts? I need some advice on video card too. :)

enaberif

Check out the SilverStone Milo ML03 for a case.. cheaper and can take a full size psu.

And being a matx system might as well just get a 2500 instead of a 2500k since I doubt you'll be overclockign that much.

perfecto

The Lanbox lite can take a full size PSU as well, can't it? I like the look of this one far more than the Milo. Good call on the 2500K, that'll help a bit ;)

As for video card I like NVidia - am looking for something good price/performance wise, probably don't want to spend more than $125 or so on it

Last edited:

matsta31

Also, why 8 gig of ram ? 4 is plenty and save you some money.

For the CPU, this is not a bad deal you get a i5 2500K for the price of a 2500 (you wont get any real overclock with a non K cpu) and you get a good Heat sink :

NCIX.com - Buy NCIX Silent Bundle Deal Intel Core i5 2500K Quad Core CPU & Noctua NH-U12P 120MM Heatpipe Cooler - Bundle Deals - 2500K & NH-U12P SE2 - in Canada

Also I am building myself a Matx system, but I am waiting to see what bulldozer will do to the pricing scheme.

Finally, you can get a decent 4 cores Amd system for half the pricing of intel.

BrutalGreen

How about this combo?

Intel Core i5 2500K + Noctua NH-C12P-SE14 @ $219.99

Although you only have till the 25th at this price and limited quantities...

Edit: oops my bad read the cooler size without the fan at 90mm...guess even this wont fit at 114mm unless you go passive...

Id suggest just getting a scythe big shuriken and going mello on the voltage...

...or:

If you wanna get some good cooling on the cpu, you might need to go with a m-ATX mid/mini tower

Last edited: