What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Maximus VIII Hero 5.1 trouble

NF_Kodiak

I've dug around a lot on this problem, for the past week and some and I haven't been able to find a solution that works. I recently purchased Logitech Z906 speakers but have problems getting the full 5.1 working on my PC while gaming.

I had first tried it with the analog cables and while the driver software detects that the speakers are plugged in, all I got was the artificial fill from programs like Chrome or Winamp. When playing games or testing the speakers only the left and right speaker would work leaving me deaf to anything behind me.

So I bought an optical cable and tried it out. Still the same issue but when I would use the DTS or Dolby test under playback > Realtek Digital Output > Supported Formats I would get the sub and every speaker. The sample rate test or default format test would only yield the left and right. Apparently people have an option under > Advanced > Default Format for DTS but I do not get this option.

I had it working using a different driver, Realtek HD 2.82 (it's supposed to be 6.0.1.8198) but I was getting loud popping coming from the right speaker. Based on game it would be frequent or infrequent. I eventually reverted back to the original driver.

Since this is my first time dealing with 5.1 and this issue I've barked up a few trees but don't want to start spending more money for a sound card if my onboard sound can handle it and handle it well. I've checked and double checked my settings but cannot seem to make any headway using either the analog or optical cables.
I am hoping for insight or experience that I do not have so I can get this problem sorted out and start enjoying my new speakers.
Your help is appreciated, thank you.

sswilson

Staff member
Did you try swapping your "side" speakers for "rear" speakers in the realtek control panel while connected analogue?

edit: Should look something like this.... (my control panel is gigabyte branded but it should be something similar)

side_rear.JPG

NF_Kodiak

Mine looks pretty much like yours does. Different style but all the settings are the same.

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    80.5 KB · Views: 191

KaptCrunch

So I bought an optical cable and tried it out. Still the same issue but when I would use the DTS or Dolby test under playback > Realtek Digital Output > Supported Formats I would get the sub and every speaker. The sample rate test or default format test would only yield the left and right. Apparently people have an option under > Advanced > Default Format for DTS but I do not get this option.

possible your amp isn't Dolby compliant on optical, try coaxial digital (RCA)

under what OS ? may have to set speakers in windows, SS above spoken about

Realtek Asus skin for optical

Attachments

• DEC1.jpg
    DEC1.jpg
    87.7 KB · Views: 191

NF_Kodiak

Windows 10. I have configured the speakers for 5.1 in the configure speakers menu and that menu only recognizes the left and right front speaker as well.
I will investigate as to whether or not it's Dobly compliant in optical but at first glance I find nothing that says either way.

sswilson

Staff member
Windows 10. I have configured the speakers for 5.1 in the configure speakers menu and that menu only recognizes the left and right front speaker as well.
I will investigate as to whether or not it's Dobly compliant in optical but at first glance I find nothing that says either way.

It's in the realtek control panel you need to change from "side" to "rear". That should be a little speaker icon in your taskbar.

90% sure this is the issue you're running into... realtek's default typically isn't properly recognized by the games I've played.

KaptCrunch

seems MS want$ for dolby access with Dolby Atmos

speaking of Dolby Atmos is the new version of Dolby DTS connect

MS support on this issue looks to me dolby license u$age

right click speaker icon on task bar , mine is greyed out for amp isn't atmos compliant but sub still works in movies and games

if i go to MS store say its free but when to loaded it ask for money

Attachments

• dec2.jpg
    dec2.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 188
  • dec3.jpg
    dec3.jpg
    54.9 KB · Views: 187
Last edited:

KaptCrunch

oh forgot to say i'm using this driver on win 10 64bit

Attachments

• dec4.jpg
    dec4.jpg
    31.7 KB · Views: 188
Last edited:

NF_Kodiak

It's in the realtek control panel you need to change from "side" to "rear". That should be a little speaker icon in your taskbar.

90% sure this is the issue you're running into... realtek's default typically isn't properly recognized by the games I've played.

You can see in the picture above from me that I don't even have the option to set side speakers if I wanted to. It's grayed out.

KaptCrunch said:
seems MS want$ for dolby access with Dolby Atmos

speaking of Dolby Atmos is the new version of Dolby DTS connect

MS support on this issue looks to me dolby license u$age

right click speaker icon on task bar , mine is greyed out for amp isn't atmos compliant but sub still works in movies and games

if i go to MS store say its free but when to loaded it ask for money

I've fiddled with that setting before but it's for headphones and shouldn't matter since I didn't adjust that setting at all when I had the 5.1 sort of working. Seems like it's a program to give pseudo surround sound.

sswilson

Staff member
You can see in the picture above from me that I don't even have the option to set side speakers if I wanted to. It's grayed out.

I've fiddled with that setting before but it's for headphones and shouldn't matter since I didn't adjust that setting at all when I had the 5.1 sort of working. Seems like it's a program to give pseudo surround sound.

Sorry about that, I missed your post for some reason.

What output do you get if you press the "play" button beside 5.1 in your control panel? It should run through a quick test that plays out through each speaker as it highlights the picture of it. If that works as advertised then we probably need to look at your game settings. (What game(s) bTW?).

Is there any chance that your game is still configured for dual channel (2.1)?

Latest posts