What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Maximus XI Extreme 9900K BIOS Oddity - SOLVED!

rjbarker

Hi guys
Ive posted this over on ROG ASus but no help there really.
Just want to get some opinions whether I should be consideirng RMA'ing this Mobo or just live with the glitch...
When I change all of my OC paramters F10 and reboot the Motherboard doesnt indicate the new Frequency and Core Ratio (Multiplier) under the Hardware Monitor section to the right on the BIOS screen.

The Temperature....DRAM Frequency....Core Voltage...DRAM Voltage.... all display correctly, BUT the Frequency ALWAYS stays at 3600 Mhz and Core Ratio at X36....
Once yesterday while playing around with OC settings it actually came up showing Frequency 5000 Mhz and Core Ratio x50 ....but cant repeat this...

In the BIOS under CPU Power Settings there is an option to change CPU Power at BIOS Boot (eureka I found the setting).
BUT...If I change this setting to "Battery" then reboot...yes the Frequency displayed will be 800 Mhz and Core Ratio x8.....but any other setting in there whether Boost Performance or Regular Performance without Boost will always only display Frequency 3600 Mhz and Core Ratio x36....

As said...once in Windows OC Frequency is correct looking CPUID....but is my Board / BIOS working as it should?

See attached pic

Yes have tried resetting BIOS to Default and Re-Flashing BIOS to 0602.....none of this makes a difference...
Frequency in BIOS 3600 Mhz and Core Ratio x36 no matter what OC settings I apply save and reboot........

Couple of more Screen Shots...you can see I am booted to 5.1 Ghz and Turbo Performance Enabled .....BUT look at Frequency and Core Ratio stuck at 3600 Mhz and x36..
The only thing that changes is when I select Battery Mode....Frequency will post at 800 Mhz and Core Ratio x8.....

Is this worthy of an RMA...? Kind of odd if things are working as should be at the UEFI / BIOS Level ....

SOLVED:

After a few hours of becoming intimate with my BIOS....the culprit is:

- "Inter Speed shift Technology" - if this is set to "disabled" and save / exit boot back into BIOS HW Monitor will show Frequency 3600 Mhx and Core Ratio x36
- "Intel Speed shift Technology" - set to either Auto or Enabled and Frequency will show as what I set 5000 Mhz and Core ratio x 50

I would be interested to see if anyone else can re-produce this by "disabling" Intel Speed Shift Technology" .....?

I have tried Resets and Cold Boots and all works fine now provided I leave Intel Speed Shift Technology to Enabled or Auto...

Last edited:

MorePower

Nice find! I'll test this out soon. I have the same mobo and am trying to find my own solutions for little annoyances, like how to turn off the LiveDash OLED when the system is off.

rjbarker

Nice find! I'll test this out soon. I have the same mobo and am trying to find my own solutions for little annoyances, like how to turn off the LiveDash OLED when the system is off.

Yes I was playing with that a well..Asus Aura software I can turn off all the RGB Board lighting at shut down....but the OLED Asus Flash Screen and the Power / Reset button lights stay on......and the power / reset button lights are extremely bright.....!!!!
Let me know if you find a solution to this somewhere...I tried the settings in BIOS as well but couldnt get em to turn off at shut down......

On another note.....Ive given up using vCore adaptive mode...cant seem to get a handle on the vcore I set in Adaptive Mode in BIOS and the overshoot at desktop and then the vDroop under load (the Vdroop really fluctuates under load).....I know elevating the LLC will reduce the Droop, but the vcore is so unpredictable with this setting.....I m not a fan of setting manual voltage as I dont like that voltage being pushed to CPU when Idle......Im at work on the ship right now....when I get home Im going to go back to vcore setting via "Offset Mode"....I really like setting vcore using Offset on my RIVE as I could get the vCore right where I wanted it under load.....was wayyyyy easier finding the "sweet spot" when OC'ing......

With Adaptive Mode I wasnt able to get close to stable at 5.1 ghz.......I know not all chips can do it...but Im determined to get there at around 1.38v......I'll play around with this when I get home....

Although I must say there is a decent balance with the CPU at 5 Ghz and both 1080Ti's OC'd playing games at 3440*1440p.......Im pretty happy with the system (although having second thoughts whether I should have went with X299 and new 9900x Series chip).......anyhow all good....

...Im extremely happy with the Loop....the CPU stays at or under 52c playing games and 65c - 70c benching and loading the CPU (all cores 100%)......
.....both 1080Tis havent seen 39c yet...after a few hrs gaming they both settle at 37c & 36c ....1c delta between the 2 works for my OCD :whistle: ......although I did pull the EK Blocks completely apart to clean the grooves under the GPU Heat Sink......

Keep me posted how you make out....especially your OC successes and settings.....there are some decent guides out there but very basic..all Adaptive Vcore.........

....It is a pretty sweet board....loved my RIVE as well..:thumb: ...great support over at both ROG Forum and Overclockers Forum as well......

JD

Staff member
One way that I've found to disable all lights is to enable the ErP functionality, that basically tells the motherboard to shut off entirely. Though you lose the WoL and other such things too since the PC is truly off instead of being in S4 or S5 "sleep".

rjbarker

One way that I've found to disable all lights is to enable the ErP functionality, that basically tells the motherboard to shut off entirely. Though you lose the WoL and other such things too since the PC is truly off instead of being in S4 or S5 "sleep".

So its like shutting off the PSU ? Does it effect UEFI settings when you boot up again?

MorePower

but the OLED Asus Flash Screen and the Power / Reset button lights stay on......and the power / reset button lights are extremely bright.....!!!!
Let me know if you find a solution to this somewhere...I tried the settings in BIOS as well but couldnt get em to turn off at shut down......

To turn off all the onboard functional LEDs you have to switch the AURA to Stealth mode. Unfortunately this does not turn off the LiveDash OLED.

rjbarker

To turn off all the onboard functional LEDs you have to switch the AURA to Stealth mode. Unfortunately this does not turn off the LiveDash OLED.

Does it turn off the Power / Reset button lights at shut down...? I thought i tried that....but cant remember now.

JD

Staff member
So its like shutting off the PSU ? Does it effect UEFI settings when you boot up again?
No impact to UEFI settings, perhaps slightly slower boot but that's about it.

Does it turn off the Power / Reset button lights at shut down...? I thought i tried that....but cant remember now.
ErP should, it does on my R5E10, total darkness :thumb:

rjbarker

No impact to UEFI settings, perhaps slightly slower boot but that's about it.

ErP should, it does on my R5E10, total darkness :thumb:

Nice.....I'll give it a whirl...I cant recall my RIVE power and reset buttons being that bright....maybe there were red instead of blue / white.....the boards in its box now...