What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

mechanical keyboards question - why is a customized one better...

Mr. Friendly

...than the myriad of models available from others, some who are very reputable and known for quality (ie. Cherry).

I'm simply mind blown by people putting $300 or more into a keyboard. how do you quantify / measure it's metrics against a $200 pre-made to justify the price delta?

lowfat

Staff member
How do you quantify a $300 DAC vs a $200 when its arguably marginally different? Same goes w/ pretty much every enthusiast product including keyboards. To most people you'll likely not notice a difference. But they'll often have hot-swap sockets for the switches so you can replace them w/o having to solder. They'll also generally have better stabilizers. They'll also generally have a full body metal construction. While cheaper boards will have just a metal plate for the switches, rest of the case is plastic. And then their is the firmware. DIY boards will use QMK, which is fully customizable, including layers and macros. Consumer mechanial boards will have their own firmware w/ next to zero customization.

Izerous

Folding Team
I'd argue socketable keys after the led failures I have had would be awfully nice. Being able to just swap out the one key with a new one would mean i could use it 100% functionality for years to come as long as i could still order a replacement switch (if they are not ridiculously expensive)

Some won't even warranty a backlit keyboard unless at least X amount of keys are burnt out... and I don't have a good track record with these k95 boards and their LEDs.

Mr. Friendly

I'm back to a membrane keybaord...Logitech MK820 and loving it. I had a Steelseries a long long time ago and had no issues with it, just wished it was backlit and then I got something from Razer. having to use their clunky software to do anything with it was quite annoying, especially when it wouldn't work, which is why I ended up giving it away to my nephew. I forget what I was using before this Logitech...and MS Curve maybe, but I got this Logitech for it's multi-device connectivity. Well...I actually got the MK850 kit which included the keyboard and the MK7xx something mouse, both of which can jump between three devices.

@lowfat there aren't often big / huge differences between a $200 and $300 DAC. $100 and $200 DAC, yes...but after $200, you've got to spend a chunk more. the $300 - $500 area is quite a dead space in the audio world, interestingly enough. but I get the point you were trying to make. :)

Bond007

The same question can be asked of almost anything "premium". There are always diminishing returns.

While I would never pay that for a keyboard, to each their own.

Lysrin

I was pondering a similar question when I received the email today from Drop about their Signature keyboards. They are very nice. They range in price, with the Space Race keyboard (that I really like btw) getting up to $350 USD. So a lot. But... I have paid a lot for a lot of things in this tech hobby and other hobbies. As @Bond007 said, to each their own.

I would say quality is certainly better to a point (if you are already at $200, maybe not much?), as long as you know what you're looking for. Customization is worth paying for for many folks. And as the Signature Series page says "Your keyboard is more than just a tool—it’s an expression of your style, an extension of your fingers."

If you have the money, who could argue with that? :)

Mr. Friendly

I was pondering a similar question when I received the email today from Drop about their Signature keyboards. They are very nice. They range in price, with the Space Race keyboard (that I really like btw) getting up to $350 USD. So a lot. But... I have paid a lot for a lot of things in this tech hobby and other hobbies. As @Bond007 said, to each their own.

I would say quality is certainly better to a point (if you are already at $200, maybe not much?), as long as you know what you're looking for. Customization is worth paying for for many folks. And as the Signature Series page says "Your keyboard is more than just a tool—it’s an expression of your style, an extension of your fingers."

If you have the money, who could argue with that? :)
that's funny...that same email is what made me ask this. LoL!

and I do not see a keyboard or mouse as an item of style. to me it's entirely about function.

but almost everything has gone this way...you can tweak to the umpteenth level, like those diamond studded face shields Versace or something is making.

Dr0y

The way I see it, custom keyboards are more about being a hobby than simply wanting something good. What fun is there to buy a prebuilt keyboard when you can build one completely. Chose the case, the plate, the pcb, the switches, the stabs, the keycaps and if you're really into it, custom cable, the weight and the sound dampening. After that, spending time and time to lube those marvelous switches carefully chosen, sometimes replacing the srpings or part of the housing ... build it slowly and meticulously so everything is exactly how you wanted it to be.

I have not build a keyboard yet, I just bought a barebone and put some switches in it ... the thing that is interesting about a barebone is that I can change the switches whenever I want to try some new ones without spending lot of money on a completely new keyboard. Let's say I get a ducky with some cherry brown for about 150$ and I realize I don't like it ... then it's the trouble of selling it at a loss and finding and buying another one that I might not like. The barebone solved that problem ... now I enjoy switches ... :)

So, in conclusion ... it's a hobby ...

GregoireA

Latest posts

Twitter