What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Mechanical smart light switch paired with plug?

sswilson

Staff member
Wasn't quite sure where to put this but I figure the most likely control device is going to be some kind of mobile device... :)

So here's the scenario... in my man cave I've got one light switch for 3 ceiling lights, but it's a long dark room so I've also got a standing lamp wired to a "paired wireless switch + plug" (It's essentially a battery powered remote switch) for better lighting directly on my desk.

Now that I've got an echo for that room, I'm considering grabbing a smart switch for the ceiling lights, and I know I'd be able to group another smart plug with it so that I can voice control all of the lights in that room, but ideally I'd still like mechanical functionality for all of the lights in the room so what I'm wondering is if there are versions of the mechanical smart switches which can be configured to trigger a smart plug when activated mechanically.

Any thoughts?

Izerous

Folding Team
I'd imagine you could setup the equivalent of a trigger or a macro to tie.them together but it isn't something I have tried beyond group commands

JD

Staff member
Not sure on Echo specifically, but in my case I have SmartThings Hub and I have a SmartThings button that I can push to turn off the plug-in lamps (GE Zwave Plus Plug-in Two Outlet Smart Switch) which triggers my porch light (GE Enbrighten Zwave Plus) to also turn off.

I could do it in reverse like you want - when porch light turns on, turn on plug-in lamps. Then I could just use the normal in-wall switch to control both.

The ST Hub ties into Google Home in my case, so I can do it with voice too or from my phone with either Google Assistant or the SmartThings app. However, out of habit, I keep the "tactile" buttons/switches as they see the most use.

zoob

(GE Zwave Plus Plug-in Two Outlet Smart Switch) which triggers my porch light (GE Enbrighten Zwave Plus)
Do you have any issues with high-pitched whining from the Enbrighten series switches? I read some negative feedback on this new model.

JD

Staff member
Do you have any issues with high-pitched whining from the Enbrighten series switches? I read some negative feedback on this new model.
I had wired it wrong since the whites and blacks are mixed up, so it made whining noises in that scenario but the light wouldn't turn on either. One of the ways I wired it, the breaker would trip when flipping the switch on (and also had whining noise). On the 3rd attempt, I figured it out though...

I don't hear any whining now at least, unless it's now outside my hearing range. It only powers a single light though, cheap Noma LED 60W equivalent.

sswilson

Staff member
I have a sneaking suspicion that I'd probably need some kind of smart hub if I want to pair the two together for the mechanical switch to work.

lowfat

Staff member
Whatever device you look for, I'd make sure it has local control support and not cloud based. If its cloud based, whenever the manufactuer devices that device is no longer supported, you are SOL and now have a paper weight.

Entz

I have a sneaking suspicion that I'd probably need some kind of smart hub if I want to pair the two together for the mechanical switch to work.
Yeah I am thinking of the same. Your basically looking at setting up IFTTT (or other automation hub) that you can write rules then have a smart wall switch as mentioned above (which depending on brand also lets you use Alexa i.e. Alexa turn on the lights in the man cave).

@lowfat has a pretty amazing setup in his thread for a local version.

Entz

Should add items within a given brand can do this as well (usually). i.e. My Kasa stuff can all talk to each other so my TP-Link switch can control my TP-Link plugs but not others. Its cloud based though so I am not sure how much it can control if the internet is down (Same lan so maybe?)

lowfat

Staff member
ts cloud based though so I am not sure how much it can control if the internet is down (Same lan so maybe?)
You can't anymore afaik. They use to allow an option for local only. But a FW update around 6 months ago they removed the option. (n)

Latest posts

Twitter