What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Memory card reader recommendations?

sswilson

Staff member
Anybody have a card reader sitting on their desk that's well used yet still managed to survive longer than a year or so?

I haven't had any luck with the brand name desktop versions I've bought over the years, they all seem to work fine for a year(ish) but then start spitting out "can't read, you need to format this card to use" errors even though I have no issues reading the card with my cheaparse dollar store reader.

My dollar store reader is still working fine, but the design is such (usb connector on a short flimsy cable) that I'm concerned it's just going to stop working some day and then I'll be stuck having to use my laptop's built-in reader which isn't ideal for my photo editing/archiving needs.

Sooo... any suggestions on a good quality desktop reader?

FreeKnight

Ugreen reader

I've been using this one for 2-3 years with no issues. Cable's pretty beefy, build quality is good and hasn't died on me yet like every other one I've had. I can't guarantee it's going to live for years on you, but I've been pretty happy.

sswilson

Staff member
Thanks, I'll put those on my list. So far (just going by the amazon reviews) I'm leaning towards the kingston (The only real negative review on that one was "it scratched my expensive SD card"..... :) ).

Sagath

Staff member
Folding Team
Ive used the SanDisk Mobilemate USB 3 microSD reader for about a year and a half. Its super fast, small. Would recommend.

sswilson

Staff member
I have the older version of this I guess (MobileLite G3): https://www.amazon.ca/Kingston-Digital-MobileLite-Multi-Function-FCR-MLG4/dp/B00KX4TORI. No cables or such to worry about at least though.

Oh... that looks like it might be going to the top of my list. Pretty much the same functionality as my cheaparse dollar store one but without the flimsy cable just waiting to break.

So, you haven't ran into any issues reading cards with it? I like the small format, will never need to read anything but SD or microSD, and generally prefer something I can "eject" after each use to prevent issues related to swapping cards in and out.

sswilson

Staff member
Ive used the SanDisk Mobilemate USB 3 microSD reader for about a year and a half. Its super fast, small. Would recommend.

I think the last two desktop ones I've had have been sandisk so I've soured on the brand....

edit: That particular product is also only good for microSD, I need full sized SD for my camera.

Last edited:

JD

Staff member
So, you haven't ran into any issues reading cards with it?
My G3 has been fine, obviously can't comment on the G4. I would say the SD slot is a bit tight but nothing that would cause scratches.