What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Memory problems!!!!

free2fly

Hi there folks, i was wondering if you could help me troubleshoot my issue. First here is my setup:

Ultra 500 watt PSU
Biostar 570 SLI
3600+ x2 1.9 overclocked to 2.8
2 gig OCZ platinum rev. 2 6400 @ 800 3-4-4-10-2t
7600 GT overclocked to 776 and 800

Now I was changing memory settings one day and i got the boot with 2 long beeps. I thought no problem, reset bios and get back to last known settings.

Nope, will not boot. Not at default settings, nothing. Finally i decided to try the memory in different slots. The only way it will work is when they are installed in single channel mode, and only with two dimms.

Seems to me like a hardware problem, but im not sure whats going on. Has anybody experienced something like this.

Now the only thing i can think of, is that the PSU was not delivering enough juice. The motherboard needs 24 pin, plus a 6 pin, my psu gives a 20 pin plus a 4 pin. Even though the system ran perfect when i use these and miss 2 pins on each connector, would this hurt my motherboard? I haven't tried a different PSU yet. Thanks for the advice. Brad

sswilson

Staff member
I've never heard of a 20 + 6 pin connection for a motherboard.....

20 + either 4 pin or 8 pin.

6 pin connectors are vid card connectors.

(Take a couple of pictures to show us what you're talking about...)

As far as the memory thing goes.... sounds like what used to happen with some bad bios flashes.....

Have you tried setting to default/optimum settings from bios when it boots from one mem stick?

If that doesn't do it, you can try testing a one stick config with memtest to ensure that it's stable, and try a bios flash to the last version..... (should be your last resort though).

andyOCZ

OCZ Rep.
I would try to reflash your BIOS or apply the latest. Since the memory works, this sounds like a motherboard issue.

Let me know how it goes.

Supergrover

I had something simular with a evga mobo after flashing to a newer bios ver.
I was able to run dualchannel with the older version then when i flashed to the newer I couldnt period with any ram, tried 5 different sticks before I said F this and went back to the older version.

sswilson

Staff member
I had something simular with a evga mobo after flashing to a newer bios ver.
I was able to run dualchannel with the older version then when i flashed to the newer I couldnt period with any ram, tried 5 different sticks before I said F this and went back to the older version.
Same thing with my old MSI 7030 Neo-Plat.

Newer version of bios was actually based on a different core (if that's what they call it on bios) from a different mobo....

Killed my ability to run two sticks, unfortunately flashing back ultimately killed the board.... :(

free2fly

thanks

Hey guys thanks, I will try to flash with one stick in. Yes you are right I meant an 8 pin motherboard connector. I hope my motherboard didn't have such a short life, 2 weeks old. Also new to working with DirectCanada, whats the best route to deal with an issue like this? I'm away on vacation, ill try to flash again when i get back, thanks for the advice! Brad

Twitter