What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Memory Slot Placement?

sswilson

Staff member
What's the standard for filling two slots?

I've been working off of the old "slots closest to the CPU" rule of thumb forever. But looking through both my Asus Z370, and MSI B550 manuals it appears they recommend installing 2 sticks starting from the outside going in.

Not sure if it makes much difference (I did a quick cpu benchmark but didn't bother pulling out memory benchmarking tools and didn't see any difference between the two channels), but am I the only person in the world still installing onto the slots closest to the CPU?

sswilson

Staff member
I've never heard of going out the outside....just matching them to the DIMM slot colors so you get your dual channel mode.

I'm not talking about having both sticks together on the outside, but both motherboard manuals I looked at this morning suggest the "proper" installation is....

CPU-Empty Slot-Memory-Empty Slot-Memory so you start from the outside and work in as opposed to starting from the inside and working out.

Memory Slot.JPG

Last edited:

Izerous

Folding Team
I havn't run less than 4 sticks in a person desktop in over a decade but checking the manual of the CH4 it says blue slots and it only had black and red but black was slots 1 & 3 from the CPU and red was 2 & 4 so it was closest to the CPU.

Strangely this crosshair 7 hero does state to use 2 & 4.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-12-03 at 8.45.51 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-12-03 at 8.45.51 AM.png
    176.6 KB · Views: 3

djbrad

I remember it changed a few years ago. When I built my 6700k with my z170xp-sli I had to double check the manual.

Lysrin

When running only two of four slots I have always done what the manual recommended; whichever pairing it stated. Never had any issues when installing as the manual says to.

Sagath

Staff member
Folding Team
When running only two of four slots I have always done what the manual recommended; whichever pairing it stated. Never had any issues when installing as the manual says to.
Yeah, I'm not sure when it started mattering which slots to use (3000 intel maybe?), but generally its 2/4 for two slot use.

AMD Zen chips are particularly picky about slots it seems. I had a no-post with my 3900x when I bought it because I was using 1/3. Guess it could be the motherboard being picky, too.

Bond007

I have seen it both ways, but I don't build frequently enough to say if there is a norm or "standard". I believe the last few were all slots 2/4.

Dwayne

When in doubt, follow what the manufacturer recommends. I believe that many motherboards now have the DIMM placement silkscreened close to the DIMM slots too.

Latest posts

Twitter