What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Memory Slot Placement?

JD

Staff member
I believe Buildzoid's motherboard PCB videos generally cover what memory topology a board is using and how it's connected to the CPU if you want to learn about the technical side of it. His X570 videos for sure covered it and he compared it to the X470 as well.

For the most part, AMD seems picky about this and should be 2/4 on most boards. 1/3 usually means you won't be able to run XMP/full speed, or perhaps not even boot/be stable.

crazyea

What's the standard for filling two slots?

I've been working off of the old "slots closest to the CPU" rule of thumb forever. But looking through both my Asus Z370, and MSI B550 manuals it appears they recommend installing 2 sticks starting from the outside going in.

Not sure if it makes much difference (I did a quick cpu benchmark but didn't bother pulling out memory benchmarking tools and didn't see any difference between the two channels), but am I the only person in the world still installing onto the slots closest to the CPU?

I always do it the way on the manual. skip the slot closest to the cpu.