What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Memory Usage Issues

Stang

Hi Guys,

I have been having issues lately while playing DayZ. After an hour or so I get an error message that my memory is running low. According to my task manager resource monitor, I was using up to 90% or so of my memory. At idle, with no applications running, I am still using approx. 25%, or 2239MB. Is this normal ? What is using all this memory? I am running Windows 7 64 bit with 8 Gbs of ram.

Any advice or thoughts on what may be going on here ?

Thanks,

Attachments

SugarJ

Staff member
My Windows 7 used about 2.1 GB before I switched over to 8.1. You could check to see how many processes you are running. As for the problem with DayZ, it probably has a memory "leak" as it's still in pre-release form.

Rye 1080

The bulk of your 2239 MB in use there is being used to cache programs, 2161 MB. This is normal, it is used to make programs load faster, and windows will clear the cache to run programs if you are getting low on memory.

The only time I have gotten the low memory error message is when I have the page file turned off. From what I understand with no Page file everything that requests ram even if it doesn't need it yet will be given ram at a 1:1 ratio. With a page file, even a small one (I use a static 2GB one) it allows windows to assign memory virtually so only programs that are actually using the RAM are given it.

MARSTG

The only time I have gotten the low memory error message is when I have the page file turned off.
With that system of yours from the signature with 32GB of RAM? You have a big problem if yes.
I have had 4 GB of RAM for a long time (7-8 years) and most of the time I keep the swap file off, throwing everything to RAM. From my experience 4GB might be a little too much at the edge, 6GB would be ideal to have the swap file off. But even like this, I rarely get the message, as I am doing one thing at a time, if I game I don't keep Firefox open for example, not even torrent programs. Most probably one of the software you are using has a problem. Like suggested you could allocate a fixed size swap file to solve the issue, I would say 2 to 4 GB.

Stang

Because I have an SSD, I had page file turned off. I turned it back on and the issue doesn't occur quite as often, yet my memory usage still hovers around 75%. What size should I have the page file set to ? Is DayZ the problem ? It only started happening about 2 months ago. It was never a problem before this.

Rye 1080

2-4 GB pagefile should be fine. Impossible to say where the problem is. 75% memory usage is fine, you bought the ram it would be more of a waste if windows wasn't using it when it is free.

I wouldn't worry about using a Pagefile with an SSD, NAND endurance is a non-issue for desktop use, Unless you are writing north of 20GB per day to an SSD it will last many years longer then you are going to want keep it around.

Maybe not so surprisingly I haven't always had a computer with 32 GB of ram. Even with 32 GB you can run out of memory though, you just need to be doing things other than gaming, Have a few of VMs running and a RAMDisk and it can all be gone.
Not many people can/will only keep one thing open at a time, so it's pretty easy to use up 4 GB and not very hard to use up 8.

Last edited:

MARSTG

Well, make it as large as you need. Experiment with size till the problem dissapears. Make it 8 GB if needed.

clshades

4gb max for a pagefile IMO. Disable hibernate too. Open command prompt with admin mode and type: powercfg.exe -h off <enter>

Get several gigs back on you ssd.

Latest posts

Twitter