What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Work in progress MercII.1 - Rad / Shelf Mod update

bjcsoln

So, you might remember me from the guy that brought you the logs for "Red Rampage" (v1 and v2) and "Blue Max" - and while Blue Max is still running fine, and has all the power I need, well I got the itch again and needed to build another machine.

Basic inspiration: I finally settled on the Thermaltake P3 Core Case - I loved the open concept, the possibilities, and also that its the same size as my Corsair / Blue Max case so it would fit in the same spot. I also knew that (again not sure) I wanted to try a Ryzen CPU, but still NVideo for the GPU. I also wanted to go with a 5x120 fan/rad combo (although technically I could've made one rad a 3x140).

And lastly, I settled on all EK blocks - almost all of my builds have used that hardware and I have never had a problem with that gear so why change things.

So here is the inspiration for this build:
1597271930880.png

And while I wasn't going to go with the solid colour and RGB fans, it was really just the case concept that really looked cool. The other major change I had decided on was to go from 12mm tubing up to 16mm. From other builds I just think it scales a lot better. And then finally, was going to stick with clear liquid (and just use the RBG lighting) as I had also seen a lot of builds like this and it looked pretty cool. Also, I can always add die at a later date

bjcsoln

Okay, so I bought my case, picked the rads, MB, and blocks and I ended up with something like this: I have 3 EK parts that have RBG, get to horizontal mount my GPU so I can also show off that block, and can also stuff a second 2x120 rad on the bottom where the PSU usually mounts (more on that later).

1597272124570.png

bjcsoln

So, taking some of the plastic off, mount everything, and hey it actually looks kind've cool (so far). Haven't really looked at the GPU mount closely yet, and as it turns out, its a bit of a tight fit for the bottom rad, but at least so far so good?

1597272273919.png

bjcsoln

This was tight - as you can see the bottom rad needs to butt up right close to the vertical one (although it still did not leave enough space for the support post that holds the glass). Was also able to tuck in the pump here. I had debated using the EK res with the built in pump, but decided to go separate.

1597272391586.png

bjcsoln

Now, once I had this sorted out, it was time to figure out what to do with the PSU, the GPU, the hard drives, and the control panel.

I knew putting the extra rad in there meant that I needed to move the PSU to the back side of the case. This caused space issues as there would be fans in the back, as well as the mounts for the hard drives. In the end, I realized that my current system only has 2GB of actual HD space (which turns out to be more then enough) so I decided to drop external drives all together, and just go with 3TB of M2 drives. Problem one solved.

The second thing I wanted to address was the panel that had the power switch and USB ports. Much like my current rig, this is mounted on the right side of the case which is a bit of a pain to reach. So I decided to take if off the right side, bash some holes in the left side of the case, and mount it there. (sorry no good picture of that yet).

And then finally, it was the mount for the GPU that Thermaltake provided with the case - it just didn't quite work out right for me so I ended up building my own bracket and bolting it to the GPU's back-panel.

Here you can see an ongoing log of pictures of a bunch of trial and error, random metal bashing, til finally something that worked.

1597272693112.png

bjcsoln

And while I did the majority of the bashing myself (including going out and buying a small drill press which turns out, was a good investment) drilling the holes for the fans on the bottom was a bit aggressive for my skills and tools. The drill press couldn't be set to a low enough RPM that was recommended for the hole saw diameter, and I also didnt have the correct cutting oil so I just used plain shop oil.

Long story short, a fair amount of smoke, a bit of a mess, but in the end, managed to get my two large holes drilled for the lower rad.
1597272851707.png

bjcsoln

So this is how the back of the case turned out - I am not going to bother with a cover - at least not right now. I would need to add a cutout for the PSU, as well as a grill for the bottom fans. It will be a bit ackward reaching around to when I want to actually turn of the switch on the PSU, but for the most cases it will be fine.

1597272926410.png

bjcsoln

So now on to a stupid distraction - with the whole covid thing, and spending way to much time indoors, I tried playing on a modded DayZ server (only ever played vanilla). This probably delayed my build by a good three months ...But it was worth it.
1597273025931.png

bjcsoln

Tomorrow, will start with the posts on the tube runs...The biggest thing I have still be debating is whether or not I could go with glass tubing (like what is in my current rig). It just looks that much better, but in my current rig, all the tube runs were straight so it was easy to get them made. I was just not sure how easy it would be for me to make PETG runs, and then give it to my glass guy to make the custom tubing, and then trying and install them. I also know I had a lot of problems with breakages with the 12mm glass tubes, probably because the tube walls were 1mm, where as the 16mm OD glass tubes have a 2mm thick walls so they should be less likely to break.

Anyway, till tomorrow...

sswilson

Staff member
Looks great, but what exactly is that huge block you've got over the rad? Is that some form of distribution block, or is it a res/pump combo thing, or a combination of both? (Maybe you mention what it is in the write-up but I wasn't seeing it).

edit: And I'm with you... I've always loved the look of these open concept TT cases.