What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Work in progress MercII.1 - Pump / GPU Update

bjcsoln

So time for a quick re-work and simplification of that clustermess. Now on the upside, doing the rework turned out to be super quick. Opened up some valves, drained the area, did some rework, used the external input for the pump and got things back up and running in about 30 minutes.

I did get lazy and just put in a soft tube run from the res to the pump - honestly I have had so many problems with that run from all three itterations (including this run that is a bit too long so the fitting doesn't quite sit straight).

beta_fill.jpg

But this was definitely all I needed - priming the pump from the external source was a lot easier, and then the fill-up of the loop is quick and painless.

bjcsoln

So now for the new updated build with the 3090 and modified pump intake:

betainstalled.jpg

betacloseup.jpg

One of these days I am going to replace that soft tube with a hard tube, and also replace the run into the res so I don't have that little spiral which turns out I didn't need in the first place.

My OCD is also kicking in as the weight of all of those fittings sometimes cause them to sag, but at least when I look at it from an angle it looks alright..

bjcsoln

Anyway, that's all for now. I do like the look of the new block, although honestly I wish I paid more attention the first time around and didn't cut the corners like I did. There were some little pain in the arses all throughout the build, and I don't quite have the skill (or the tools) for the metal bashing I needed to do on the case. But in the end it still turned out pretty cool and I think overall is a cool build using the Thermaltake P3 case. Was a bit tough cramming that extra res in the bottom, but as long as you step back a bit and don't see the rough edges, all is good.

(customary back show of the wiring cluster mess)

backrewire.jpg

bjcsoln

Okay, following up on one of my posts related to wondering why a small increase in coolant temp was causing my flow rate to dramitcally decrease, as well as to overcome a stagnant airflow issue (from being an open case) I wend ahead an got a piece of wood cut that I installed a radiator in (and used as a shelf to replace the Ikea Lack shelf that I have had for 10 years)

Behold the mighty underside - its a 4x120 EKWB rad with Silent Wing 3s and a small splitter that is hooked up to one of the fan ports on my MOBO. I am using 1/2 piping to hold the shelf up (as the computer is damn heavy)

1619560123791.png

bjcsoln

I installed a pair of Koolance quick-release fittings so I can always disconnect from the computer from the shelf, and with that extra run between the rad and the pump I can run the rig without the shelf. I realize (after the fact) that the vertical run coming out of the rad should've had a right/angle on it (as well as the valve) - I will fix that the next time I open things up.

1619560278163.png

Overall this went pretty smoothly, although it was a bit of a pain to get the pump primed, but once it was then the water flowed smoothly.

bjcsoln

Impact on temperatures: under mining load, the GPU would float around the mid 40s, and more importantly, the coolant temp would increase up to the mid 40's unless I used an external fan to help circulate the air around the area.

Now, with the addition of the 4x120 rad at the bottom, and with the fans on it blowing up which helps circulate the air around / behind the GPU, the GPU now sits just under 40c, and the coolant never goes about 35c. I still have 5 fans running max (3 on the vertical rad and 2 on the horizontal rad), and the 4 fans on the shelf are probably running around 30% load.

And overall, I love the look of the shelf, never mind the functionality of it.

bjcsoln

I don't have much to say other than wow... I like it! (y)
Thanks - and now I can finally stop freaking out about temps that were totally fine in the first place...Except I still need to add that right angle, also maybe replace the pump with a dual one - although the addition of the extra rad only dropped the flow rate by about 13% so no big deal. I just don't like how that corner turned out, even though all the extra fittings makes it practical to drain and refill

Lysrin

Thanks - and now I can finally stop freaking out about temps that were totally fine in the first place...Except I still need to add that right angle, also maybe replace the pump with a dual one - although the addition of the extra rad only dropped the flow rate by about 13% so no big deal. I just don't like how that corner turned out, even though all the extra fittings makes it practical to drain and refill
In my loop I have no flow rate indicator and no coolant temp indicator... Ignorance is bliss? 😁

Just kidding. If I redo my loop in the future I'd certainly like to add flow rate, or perhaps both those measurements to the loop. Would give more peace of mind that everything is still working. I do run MSI Afterburner on a second monitor all the time to keep track of temps... just in case!

Latest posts