What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Completed Meshify C, 8700K - my journey to a custom loop

sswilson

Staff member
Have you started playing with bending the tubing yet?

Looking forward to seeing this build get started.... ;)

Lysrin

No not yet... I just like buying stuff apparently ;)

I haven't had any weekends lately and I know when I start this it means my main PC is going to be down for a while. But, I'll get it going!

JD

Staff member
No not yet... I just like buying stuff apparently ;)

I haven't had any weekends lately and I know when I start this it means my main PC is going to be down for a while. But, I'll get it going!
Well then, another purchase is required, you need a laptop that can be used while your main rig is down :haha:

Lysrin

Ha! I do have one. It will let me do the required things but it ain't a gamer... Now stop it! ;)

sswilson

Staff member
Well.... just get guts out and installed on ye ol' trusty motherboard box case and you can get started on WC component placement on the meshify C ....... ;)

Lysrin

Alrighty... Well I am several hours into this custom loop now (pictures will be coming) and wow... I'm exhausted! :haha: Who was the nut that decided a small case was a good idea for a first build with hard tubing!? :whistle:

Things are fitting although every step is a puzzle to solve. The inlets and outlets haven't lined up where I expected, my fault for not thinking through the crossflow rads correctly but it will still be ok. I have had to rethink some things and I'm not sure how I am doing my drain now. If my GPU was even 1 mm longer the whole build would have to have been redesigned. Talk about a stressful moment!

I have also learned this is a huge design/layout exercise. I have put the same things in and out and just sat staring and puzzling for I don't know how long! Fun but whew!

I'll get some pics up hopefully today but I just wanted to let you know it's actually happening. I'm excited and terrified all at the same time! :bleh:

Last edited:

Lysrin

Here are some pics for the progress so far. Still haven't started bending tubing yet, still figuring.

Getting going. Started on the dining room table, then later moved to the basement after I fully realised how long this task was going to take!

First I had to fix up the CPU block. The orientation of the fins was wrong for the inlet and outlet, and the jet plate wasn't the recommended one for the 115x chip. That went well, easy and now the orientation is correct. And shiny! :biggrin:

And installed...

Next on to the GPU. This was a little nerve-wracking given the cost if things go wrong, but I'll spare the suspense... nothing went wrong as far as I know at this point!

Thermal pads applied, and a little too much paste, but I followed EKWB's recommendation. I did clean it up a bit.

Reborn in its new form! :biggrin:

I needed to take the front off the Meshify C, and this was an annoyance. The USB connections on the front panel seemed to be permanently attached. Or at least they are attached enough that I didn't want to chance breaking them. But it was screwed on so I could remove the whole PCB.

Moved the basement workspace. I'm not so tidy either sswilson! ;)

So, some fit testing. These were the two items that scared me the most in terms of the design I hoped for, and as you can see there is absolutely zero extra space for the GPU. But it does fit!

The res and pump mounted on the bracket in the fan spot on the bottom of the case also worked out. I was thinking more of the pump would be lower, and I haven't decided yet if it is better or worse for fitting everything in. I also planned to put the in and out ports at the back, but that won't work with the position of the port on the front rad.

The top of the res is also higher than I planned, as in closer to the GPU, but I can still get the fill bottle in there, especially if I take the res top completely off rather than just using the hole (I don't seem to have a plug for that hole... seems there should have been one?).

Cabling is going to be tight but I "think" I can make it all fit. Pleased with the carbon colour cables btw.

So the current dilemma I am at now is figuring how to join the bottom of the front rad to the input of the res, and somehow get tubing down or around or something too to put in the drain parts. Even if I don't put the drain underneath, given the spacing and angle I'm still not sure how I even join directly from the rad port to the res given the weird position and angle. Anyway... we'll see as the week progresses. Of course, suggestions help too from the more experienced if you have 'em!

That's it for the first installment. Hoping to get a lot more done this week and getting the tubing going.

Dwayne

Could you not have just taken the filter out of the front? You can pop it right out without taking off the whole front. Unless you needed some other access, I guess.

Otherwise, looking really interesting! I love the case, but only have an AIO up top.

JD

Staff member
You could use 2x 90's to form a "S" on the radiator to maybe to get it to line up a bit closer? Can you square up the reservoir mounting too? Could also do 3x 90's on the reservoir maybe?

Could also freehand that tube? Just would need somebody else to apply the heat I think so you could basically bend it in-place.

Do excuse my MS Paint as I messed up initially :haha:

Attachments

Twitter