What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Completed Meshify C, 8700K - my journey to a custom loop

Lysrin

I'm not sure it would matter that much TBH. In your case, what you could do easily is flip the rear exhaust to an intake and leave the others alone. That way you still exhaust warm air out the top, but you have fresh air coming in to your CPU, and you have positive pressure instead of negative.

Well now... I never thought of that. Thanks @Bartacus ! That would be an easier change to try. Flipping that back fan is easier to get at than trying to flip the top ones.

Bond007

Always lots of options, but everyone always says intakes to rads is better...in your case front intakes/top intakes, rear exhaust.

Lysrin

Well, if I start messing with the fans I can likely give both options a try. Maybe back fan first because easier. I think I can get the top ones flipped if I want to try that too, just have to be careful around the tubing.

Thanks for the input and for not slapping me for bringing it up again! ;)

Dwayne

I agree with Bond007, intake for both. I have my AIO intake from the top, and i have the fans pulling the air through the rad as it is easier to dust the top/front of the rad and only have to take the fans off one a year or so to dust under them. I have the Meshify C as well, I love the case, don't have any watercooling for my video card, but I do have 3 fans on the front drawing in fresh air. I also removed the foamy dust filter to increase air intake. It will allow more dust inside, but it just means hitting the inside with a blast of canned air a little more often.

Lysrin

Good things and potentially not good things...

I tried flipping the rear fan, just because it was the easiest first step. I was surprised by the results.

With Furmark and Prime95 running for over 5 mins:

- GPU leveled off at 45 C and the CPU at 70-71 C.
- I was well into the low 80s on the CPU in the previous configuration.

Ambient temp is a bit cooler for sure but still. As with the last temp tests I am only running the XMP overclock so the CPU boost is to 4.3 GHz during Prime and the GPU is just stock overclocks. Still I wasn't expecting that big a difference! So points for getting more fresh air into the case (I know... duh.)

That's the good thing... now the other...

I noticed a new potential problem. I have small fractures in my CPU block!! Here's a pic:

IMG_20200516_102806 (Custom).jpg

I went back and checked my original pics and they certainly weren't there on initial install. Honestly I can't say when they appeared as I just noticed them last night. I don't hear any bubbling or gurgling to indicate air getting in and I don't have any leaks that I can see. I have a paper towel sitting on the GPU just to see if anything appears or drips.

To me it looks like I over tightened the fittings, but like I said the cracks certainly weren't there on initial assembly or for a few weeks after when I was paranoid about leaks and checking things daily.

Looking for opinions oh-experienced-ones! Should I panic or just leave it alone if it doesn't leak? I know the acrylic part of the block is about 1 cm thick. Doesn't look like the cracks go all the way through but it is hard to tell.

Any of you experienced this before?

Sucks... :(

Bond007

If you look at an angle, can you see if the cracks extend through the thickness of it, or just surface?

sswilson

Staff member
I'd order a replacement immediately, and seriously consider not running the loop until I got one in. The cause is most likely either that you over tightened the fittings (that's what I did with my first TT block), or the hard line(s) is/are putting stress on the fittings (one of the reasons I don't particularly like the idea of hard tubing). If those aren't just surface scratches (and they don't look like it to me), then just like a crack on an acrylic windshield they'll keep growing unless you were to put a stop hole in place.

The only WC related failure I've ever had was on an acrylic TT block which cracked while I was away for the weekend which ended up dripping on and taking out my vid card. :(

Lysrin

Thanks guys... sigh... I figured that would be the suggestion but one can always hope for the "aw that's fine, it's nothing!" answer ;)

It is really hard to see at an angle how deep the cracks are. Another downside of looking around in the small case! They don't look deep compared to the total thickness of the block, but the centre is thinner because the other block components are in there. Really hard to see confidently.

Man... this is definitely not convenient given working from home requirements! Ah well, c'est la vie. :rolleyes:

sswilson

Staff member
You'd probably be fine running it until a replacement comes in if you keep an eye on it. It's not going to fail catastrophically and you'd have an indication that it was going to start failing if you see some moisture around the fittings.

And yeah, that block looks fine.