What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Completed Meshify C, 8700K - my journey to a custom loop

Lysrin

Thanks again @sswilson ! And @Bond007

I am going to run it, carefully, but not leave it on unattended. Like you said it won't explode and pour all over the inside of my case so as long as I'm watching it. I suppose running or not doesn't matter too much; the fluid is still sitting in the same place in a full loop, moving or not.

And then I guess I will be testing my drain fitting much earlier than I planned! ;)

Bartacus

Damn, that hurts to look at! Usually you can't do things like that unless you do something silly like tighten the fittings with pliers. If you only installed those by hand, and assuming you're not a 7th degree black belt in jiu jitsu with forearms of steel, I'd be questioning the quality of that acrylic. EK has been know to have QC issues, which I why I won't touch their blocks with a 10 foot pole unless I have no other choice. But take that with a grain of salt, and I am a certified EK hater. :p

Lysrin

I do solemnly swear that I used no tool of any kind to tighten the fittings! Just finger tight. And forearms of steel would be a stretch, although I am working out more regularly now! :D

I thought I was very careful with my fittings, pressure from the hard tubing, etc. and anyone who followed this thread would see the research effort put in! I was paranoid beyond, this being my first custom loop! So I don't know what happened. The PC hasn't even moved since built and put in its current resting place.

Ordered the new acrylic-free block from Das. We'll see how long it takes to get here. Stuck with EK @Bartacus because I want the main build parts to match ;)

But my worry now will be when I dismantle and replace am I going to mess anything else up. Ah well, the more I do it the more experience I get right??

Bartacus

I don't think you messed up bud, I'd put money on that being 'janky' acrylic. I've had (and still have) plenty of acrylic blocks from Watercool, XSPC, Optimus, etc, never seen fractures like that. Don't blame yourself too quickly.

Valkyrie

Chilliwack...Time Is Just A Rubber Band....
Plastics tend to be very unforgiving of tooling and technique for drilling and tapping or any machining for that matter. Those cracks were initiated at the factory and I would expect they would replace it. One would hope if they sent you a replacement, they would make sure it's a good one.

This is where you're going to find out if you made your tubing runs easy for maintenance or not.:)

Be aware of the old dissimilar metals problem if changing from plastic to metal. I would give them a chance to send a good one first. It's a low pressure system and pretty much all the stress on those covers is fasteners and fittings.....(...and thermal cycling of course.)

Last edited:

lowfat

Staff member
Acrylic is very brittle. I'd put money on it being caused by the force on the fittings from the hard tubing. As its pretty much impossible to get a exact length/angle bend w/ that tubing, there will be force on the fitting, causing it to continually push against the tapped acrylic. I've had this happen to 3 acrylic blocks were I used hard tubing.

I love the way acrylic can look, but it really is a garbage material for water cooling. At least it is where the threads for the fittings are also acrylic.

Lysrin

Thanks for all the additional input!

Well, I did order the other one from Daz. Figured it might be a long delay to go the ticket route with EK (although good suggestion) and and difficult to prove I didn't cause the break. Also I picked that CPU block up used so I don't have any receipt or invoice for it. May not have mattered but wanted to reduce the turnaround time to get it replaced if possible.

The Magnitude is super nice @JD but a lot more expensive than the replacement I bought! :D The one I bought was only $130 from Das and will match my GPU block so I think it'll look decent.

And nice to hear @lowfat that you've seen these types of cracks before. I mean I'd like to think I was careful about fitting the bends, but given this was my very first custom loop, I have an experience sample of one! So I could have messed up. The 90 from the GPU I think was pretty good, but maybe there was more pressure on the one going from CPU up to rad than I realised. It was the one that was slightly less square and that spot does have the most cracking.

And yes @Valkyrie this is going to be a test for maintenance... I am not excited about taking it apart already!

Lysrin

Aw crap... I just compared my new order to my old block. The CPU block before was Nickel+Plexi, but the replacement I just ordered is Copper+Acetal. My GPU block is Nickel.

I guess I have already mixed nickel with copper because the rads are copper. But did I goof here mixing copper and nickel blocks with the replacement? I thought it was only trouble to mix aluminum with copper or nickel but maybe I am remembering that wrong?

lowfat

Staff member
Aluminum and copper is generally all you need to worry about. Although I'd highly suggest using an anti-corrosive additive in any loop w/ EK blocks.