What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Completed Meshify C, 8700K - my journey to a custom loop

Lysrin

Don't listen to them Lysrin, EK has been making crap products for years now, that get a lot of exposure from shill YouTubers. Their products are JUNK pure and simple, I don't care what anyone says. I've also seen similar cracks on plexi blocks where I KNOW I didn't over-tighten the fittings, so don't let EKs 'diagnosis' make you feel like you were at fault.

Thanks @Bartacus appreciate that.

I'm happy to admit if I made the mistake. I was certainly learning through this whole thing. But I am a pretty careful fellow no matter what I am working on. I don't think I over-tightend, but of course with a sample of one I can't say for sure. I certainly made sure they were snug, but I didn't go crazy and only finger-tightened them.

I dunno. If plexi is that fragile I'm sure there would be an awful lot of block failures as not everyone is careful I'm sure when doing this stuff.

sswilson

Staff member
Thanks @Bartacus appreciate that.

I'm happy to admit if I made the mistake. I was certainly learning through this whole thing. But I am a pretty careful fellow no matter what I am working on. I don't think I over-tightend, but of course with a sample of one I can't say for sure. I certainly made sure they were snug, but I didn't go crazy and only finger-tightened them.

I dunno. If plexi is that fragile I'm sure there would be an awful lot of block failures as not everyone is careful I'm sure when doing this stuff.

It's not common, but it does happen. The issue is also limited to the acrylic blocks, AFAIK the other plastic ("y" hey did you know that bracket "y" bracket gets you the thumbs-up emoticon?) composite blocks (like acetal) are flexible enough that they're not affected by this.

Last edited:

JD

Staff member
I didn't go crazy and only finger-tightened them.
Man, you must have really good grip and finger strength then!

I'm guessing they get a lot of tickets like that where people might have used a wrench to tighten it. Still, for the amount of profit I imagine they make, they could ship out new tops as I can't see it being that expensive, or at the very least, sell replacements.

implosion222

ahhh . you're making me rethink my new build lol. Hope everything gets sorted out in the end.

Lysrin

ahhh . you're making me rethink my new build lol. Hope everything gets sorted out in the end.

Hey @implosion222 ! Nice to hear from you.

Everything is sorted at this point. I have a new non-cracked block working great, and I wasn't expecting anything from EKWB. No proof that there was a flaw in the plexi block, so I wasn't expecting them to offer up a new one or a new top. Would have been nice, but I wasn't expecting it ;) Was just curious what their answer would be.

lowfat

Staff member
I do agree EK is pretty mediocre. Their nickel plating is garbage. It has failed on every block I own. But acrylic is a bad material for waterblocks IMO. I just looked and 4 out of the 6 acrylic blocks I have laying around have micro-fracturing around threads. And I've never used tools for the fittings. They should be using PETG for pump, reservoirs, etc. And using PC for waterblocks. But I'm not sure people would be willing to pay the cost difference.

implosion222

Hey @implosion222 ! Nice to hear from you.

Everything is sorted at this point. I have a new non-cracked block working great, and I wasn't expecting anything from EKWB. No proof that there was a flaw in the plexi block, so I wasn't expecting them to offer up a new one or a new top. Would have been nice, but I wasn't expecting it ;) Was just curious what their answer would be.

I don't really hang around these forums anymore but I stumbled upon your build and it caught my eye. I have an 011 XL on the way for my new build ( Waiting on Zen3) and I've been contemplating doing a custom loop or going with an AIO cooler. Where did you buy your WC stuff ? Dazmode ?

I remember doing a build with a mountain mod case back in the day with a 920 which was pretty cool but also maintenance heavy ( Drain the sytem every 3-4 months). Why is WC parts so expensive nowadays or is my memory just bad ? I looked at doing a simple loop for my cpu and I'm looking at 600-700$ in parts alone lol.

lowfat

Staff member
I don't really hang around these forums anymore but I stumbled upon your build and it caught my eye. I have an 011 XL on the way for my new build ( Waiting on Zen3) and I've been contemplating doing a custom loop or going with an AIO cooler. Where did you buy your WC stuff ? Dazmode ?

I remember doing a build with a mountain mod case back in the day with a 920 which was pretty cool but also maintenance heavy ( Drain the sytem every 3-4 months). Why is WC parts so expensive nowadays or is my memory just bad ? I looked at doing a simple loop for my cpu and I'm looking at 600-700$ in parts alone lol.
You absolutely do not need to drain the loop every 3-4 months. Use a tubing w/o plasticizer (norprene, hard tubing, etc). And don't leave the PC off for an extended time. Realistically it should last years.

It has always been pricey. You can definitely do it for cheaper. By cheaper blocks like XSPC, cheaper rads like Magicool, plain jane D5, barb fittings instead of compression fittings, etc.

implosion222

You absolutely do not need to drain the loop every 3-4 months. Use a tubing w/o plasticizer (norprene, hard tubing, etc). And don't leave the PC off for an extended time. Realistically it should last years.

It has always been pricey. You can definitely do it for cheaper. By cheaper blocks like XSPC, cheaper rads like Magicool, plain jane D5, barb fittings instead of compression fittings, etc.

eh , this was a long time ago. like Nexopia long time ago :p and I had really no idea what I was doing. Even tho I was using petra nuke , I would always have algae building up in my loop . Where do you buy your stuff these days?

What do you think of this rez : https://www.lian-li.com/o11d-distro-plate-g1/

Latest posts

Twitter