What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Completed Meshify C, 8700K - my journey to a custom loop

JD

Staff member
...but did you play Satisfactory on your Swiftech AIO? Pretty sure it's just the game 😛

Lysrin

...but did you play Satisfactory on your Swiftech AIO? Pretty sure it's just the game 😛

No Sir, I did not. I think you are absolutely correct. I am going to try my other games eventually for some very scientific comparative analysis ;)

Lysrin

Update here on pump noise. I finally got around to switching my PWM pump from using the water pump header on my motherboard to using a PWM chassis fan header.

On the water pump header the pump was running at over 4000 (reported in the BIOS) all the time. Although still not overly loud, it was a frequency that was very annoying. Needless to say not what I wanted from my liquid cooled, planned to be quiet, build. Regardless of what settings I tried, at least in ASUS AI Suite, I could not get it to run the pump slower or in any PWM way off that header.

However, on the chassis fan header I have been able to create profile that allows me to run the pump as I would have expected. The result is at idle, running between 20%, the pump is dead silent. It's heavenly! :) And even under load with the pump ramping up to 50% at 70C it is still a much more pleasing frequency, quiet, and has very little impact on the overall cooling. It is worse than running full out, but under load temps still stay between 70-80C.

I haven't switched my top fans to be intake rather than exhaust. I may do that but getting a screwdriver in to get those fans out with the loop now in place is no small feat.

sswilson

Staff member
What's full speed RPM on that pump? 4K sounds like an awful lot, and yeah... I'd imagine running it @ 20 - 30% is a major improvement over what sounds like full out... :)

I suppose it's a benefit of running so much rad for a single CPU, but I honestly don't see much temp difference between my 30(ish)% RPM and higher speeds.

JD

Staff member
If it's a D5 that's still powered by molex, I just leave the PWM cable not plugged in. I think that runs it at like 40%? It's quiet and works fine at all loads. At least with pastel fluids, having the pump speed too high makes it foam quite a bit and I never really liked the noise profile of the pump changing speed.

Lysrin

I bought the EK-D5 PWM G2 Motor (12V DC Pump Motor) - Sleeved, iirc, and on EK's site it states:

"Default behavior: Runs at 100% duty cycle when no PWM feedback signal is present"

So that lines up with what I see. That water pump header isn't PWM it seems. I thought the 4k seemed high too. Just going by what it was reporting in the monitor from the BIOS.

Lysrin

Yup, the chart for that one makes sense. Mine is the same pump, only newer, sleeved cables, etc. On the water pump header it was pegged at 100%, so 4800 rpm makes sense.

Having it on an actual PWM header, power from molex, makes it work exactly as I'd expected, and why I bought the PWM pump in the first place. It's been bugging me so I am now relieved 😁

Lysrin

I might deserve a slap for bringing this up again... but currently I have my front fans drawing in through rad (2x120mm) and my top fans pushing air out of the case through the rad (again 2x120mm), and then my back fan is an exhaust.

Originally I thought that getting the hot air out of the case would be preferred. However iirc, the consensus on here was that it was always better to pull in through the rads for cooler air. So I am thinking about switching my top ones, even though it is a hard change at this point. I think it might be worth it.

Before I make the change though:

- Am I remembering the consensus correctly?

- And is the single rear exhaust sufficient since if I change the top I will be dumping hot air into the case from both the front and top rads?

Bartacus

I'm not sure it would matter that much TBH. In your case, what you could do easily is flip the rear exhaust to an intake and leave the others alone. That way you still exhaust warm air out the top, but you have fresh air coming in to your CPU, and you have positive pressure instead of negative.

Latest posts