What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Microsoft just bought ZeniMax!

Entz

Hope so.

One neat thing is it could mean that the IP for Fallout can be used by Obsidian again since they are both MS properties.

Edit: Lol Obsidian not Oblivion

Last edited:

crazyea

As a playstation user I can only hope they don't go exclusive with new titles in existing franchises.

FreeKnight

I saw this news earlier today but have been on the road all day. I definitely have a few thoughts;
1) This is a smart acquisition by MS. Their biggest failing on the last gen was their developer lineup. PS just had too many exclusives. While I don't expect a rash of exclusives, it gives them potential down the road or elevates the value of Xbox Games Pass.

2) MS recently bought Obsidian as well. While this doesn't mean we'll ever see a 'Fallout New Vegas 2', hopefully this can get Obsidian to maybe steer or pressure Bethesda to work on their storytelling. It's definitely a weak spot for them compared to Obsidian or BioWare.

3) I don't expect we will see exclusives from this anytime soon. MS bought Mojang and have released every minecraft spinoff on PS consoles as well. I could possibly see some timed exclusives though to counter PS doing that with a lot of Japanese developers. Maybe Wolfenstein being a 6 month exclusive to XBX and PC then being released on PS5, etc.

4) MS seems willing to let devs stick with reasonable single player campaigns, this will hopefully counter Zenimax's movement towards MMOs and gatcha cash grabs. There's room for Elder Scrolls Online and Fallout online, but not if it kills the main series or damages the brand like F76.

I think this will ultimately be a 'good for gamers' merger, especially if this puts a bit of pressure on Bethesda's weaker aspects (Quality control, engine development, storytelling) but lets their strengths grow.