What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Mini ITX Case confusion,

__BOB__

I have been wanting to build a mini itx computer and found some unusual mini itx cases. They look ridiculously small compared to most others I've seen and I'm wondering if I could actually use them for my build. My needs aren't much; gtx 960 itx, 4790k (or comparable xeon), and small AIO water cooler or after market CPU heat-sink, overclocking optional. Here are the cases:

1) Rosewill Legacy V3 Plus (OR Jonsbo v3 plus) [Rosewill.com - Computer Case, Power Supply, Computer Accessories, Networking, Peripherals. Price, Quality, and Services., http://www.jonsbo.com/en/products_9_1.html]

2) Lian Li PC-TU100 [http://www.lian-li.com/en/dt_portfolio/pc-tu100/]

3) Rosewill legacy U2s (or JOnsbo u2s) [Rosewill.com - Computer Case, Power Supply, Computer Accessories, Networking, Peripherals. Price, Quality, and Services., http://www.jonsbo.com/en/products_17_1.html]

4) Lian li PC-Q11 [http://www.lian-li.com/en/dt_portfolio/pc-q11/]

5) Cooltek/Jonsbo UMX1/UMX3

For the V3 I was thinking of using a sfx psu, and sandwiching a 120 or 140 mm fan between it and the side vent for intake air. Also a scythe big shuriken rev 2 b CPU cooler.
For the PC-Tu100 I was thinking either the same config or using an AIO water cooler.
The others I'd just use an AIO water cooler (if it'd fit).

I'd just like to know if what I'm thinking of is possible or just stupid? Like, would would all the components die of heat in the V3 plus? Can I fit water coolers in any of the cases? Or should I look into a larger case?

Also, does anyonme know where to buy the UMX1/3 I can't find them except on ebay.

Thank you.

sswilson

Staff member
Moved to the new build area where it'll probably get more eyes on it. :)

You're going to have to define your overclocking goals. if it's a reasonably low OC you can probably get away with one of the smaller mITX cases (especially since you aren't dealing with a stupid hot vid card).

__BOB__

Thanks for moving this, I literally singed up just to post this thread and slapped it in 2 minutes after I entered my information.

Anyway, unless I can get a suitably sized cooler or AIO I don't think I will be overclocking. For instance, in the V3+ I was looking at the Scythe Big shuriken rev 2 b with a 95w max tdp. that wouldn't leave much room for a 4790k already at 88W, maybe a small overclock but I don't think I'd do it if it would be that small. If I were to get an AIO cooler to fit in the pc-tu100 or others (which I don't even know if I could), then I'd overclock to as much as I could without issues. I'm still new to overclocking, though my current hardware makes it much harder than it should be so new hardware should make it easier (in theory). If a 500-600MHZ boost would be reasonably I'd shoot for that, under 100mhz, probably not.
I guess I'm mainly just wondering if for the V3+ I could get a system that doesn't overheat what with its' one vented side, and if I could fit and AIO in the others without running into clearance issues or a rat's nest of tubes blocking airflow. I mean, this picture [http://cdn.overclock.net/7/78/350x700px-LL-789d1e01_2014-01-1620.26.00.jpeg] doesn't inspire confidence, and it looks custom with shorter tubes.

So anyway, thanks again, I hope that helps.

clshades

this is something I have been struggling with myself man. Finding an mitx case that will support a 120mm AIO water cooler has been tough. I have yet to find anything that I like.

Luay79

Not sure what you need an i7 for. Maybe you should tell us what your usage will be. Obviously you're into gaming, and from your choice of card I'd say gamig @ HD resolutions. You can save a $100 by getting an i5, use it to get and fit in at most a Zotac GTX 970 in the U2, which will make a for a nice rig.

These cases give you one of two or more choices, either storage or airflow, but not both together. The U2 gives you 3 HDD mounts that act as intake for the GPU in the bottom and CPU in the front. You're better off keeping them as intakes. Try investing in an m.2 drive (Samsung Pro or Crucial MX200) to free up more space. Use anything that can be used as an external device instead of installing it inside the case. For example a USB headset with a sound processor/amplifier, an external HDD, an external ODD, or even a wifi dongle if your motherboard lacks wifi or mini-pci slot.

Vittra

I am not a fan of the Rosewill/Jonsbo and Lian Li small cases. Aesthetics and build quality are nice, but thermals are often poor, and layouts odd.

Is price a concern? There are a lot of individuals / small teams making small SFX style cases, their projects can be found across a variety of forums. The cost of entry is high though due to quality of materials and small production runs. Things like the NCASE M1, Dan A4-SFX, etc.

If you are price conscious and if availability actually shows up, I'd go with the Cougar QBX if you want a relatively small mITX build:

Cougar QBX (Cougar Website)

Note that the 4790k's 88w TDP includes the iGPU. There is room for mild overclocks on something like the Big Shuriken 2 Rev B., if you so choose.

__BOB__

Moocow; I suppose a corsair 250d would work, but I'd rather go smaller, or at least something in silver (Favourite colour).
Luay79: I prefer the I7 to the i5 as I do work in multiple 3d design programs, and slic3r and other g-code converting programs that use my CPU fairly intensely. If I can do what I need with a cheaper i5 I may do that and shift money into the gpu, or just save $100. Also I'll be using either an evga 4gb Mitx gta960, or a MSI/gigabyte mITX gtx 970.
Vittra: I have heard about the NCASE and DAn a4, I actually really would like a Dan a4, are they out or in kickstarter/indiegogo yet? (And the NCase would cost me $300 with duty to get it to Canada, so I don't think I can do that). Do you know of any other such case projects?

thank you all for replying so fast.

Vittra

Dan A4 is not being crowdsourced yet, but should be quite soon. He's had a prototype for awhile now that he's been thermal testing to ensure everything is within expectations.

I didn't pay any customs/duty fees when I bought my V1 NCASE, fyi, but it is reasonable to factor them in rather than be surprised later on. I suspect the total for the A4 will be similar, all costs accounted for. As I said, neither are good choices if price is a concern.

The only real other option I would personally consider is the SG13. Small and capable, but build quality could be a potential concern.