What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Miracast Adapter

Solace

Anyone have a good model that supports at least 1080p without issues. Aside from the MS branded one.

edit: thinking a roku would be sufficent and cheaper than the MS device as it supports HDCP content I believe and miracast.

Last edited:

Solace

If anyone gets interested the answer is they are all crap. Each stick was tested on a single monitor between two devices at 1080p and another at 4k.

Anycast - Fails to cast anything or even render to a single display

Firestick
Dolby 4k 60fps stream was clear and fluid however srcreen mirroring was flickering on my vizio p55 from PC. Everything else seemed pretty peachy aside from the one major flaw. The 1080 screen failed to even recieve the cast and the only difference I could imagine is HDMI protocols between the two... 1.4 vs 2.0, both are HDCP compliant.

Roku streaming + Appears to work on the 1080p screen however on the 4k vizio the device just crashed to no input when trying to play the same 4k youtube clip... These guys also cheapened out and no longer give the HDMI flexy dongle adapter for TV's with curved backs. Without ordering both I could not even test this device which is a terrible choice on their part.

Feature wise the roku is always broadcasting and accepting screen mirror whereas the fire stick you have to enable the service to listen for casts. You cannot use google home with the fire stick (amazon echo only) but you can use google home with roku.

People manufacture such garbage these days... guess ill just buy a Microsoft product and screw having a secondary smart tv for netflix in my room. Chromecast cannot have a windows device mirror to it which is the main requirement here for those might thing just get one of those.

edit: edited for a bit of clarity as the post was pretty half ass.

Last edited:

clshades

You are aware that regular old gaming video cards can only do 2 remote streaming displays at a time right? If you want to stream to multiple displays (hardware support) you need a quadro card.

To expect a cheap scenario of this won't be possible.

Solace

I'm only casting to one other device at a time during the tests not both and the secondary monitor from the PC casting was disabled running off a 3080.

Its a known issue with the Fire sticks and windows PC specifically. The Roku is not affected, the roku started casting fine after a factory reset on the vizio 4k tv but the difference in quality between dolby video and just hdr (not hdr+) is enough to toss it back to amazon. That and the off chance it starts crashing again when just trying to play 4k youtube videos.

https://www.reddit.com/r/firetvstick/comments/mhny20
updated the last post for clarity as well

clshades

I'm only casting to one other device at a time during the tests not both and the secondary monitor from the PC casting was disabled running off a 3080.

Its a known issue with the Fire sticks and windows PC specifically. The Roku is not affected, the roku started casting fine after a factory reset on the vizio 4k tv but the difference in quality between dolby video and just hdr (not hdr+) is enough to toss it back to amazon. That and the off chance it starts crashing again when just trying to play 4k youtube videos.

https://www.reddit.com/r/firetvstick/comments/mhny20
updated the last post for clarity as well
Ok I follow you now. I was confused by your 1st post. I used to cast everything from a laptop or PC prior to building a Plex server, which just runs on my main PC. I cast directly to Chromecast though without much issue.

Solace

I do cast through the browser sometimes however for full screen mirroring or other apps not supporting it would be miracast. TV has smartcast + airplay built into it. I ordered the roku streaming 4k 3820R which will have dolby vision and support miracast anytime without having to enable the service remotely. Hopefully no major issues come up as no other devices exist to fit the bill.

Some other roku facts if anyone else decides to purchase,

The 3821R (4K +) is a waste of money, only difference is same remote but with a rechargeable battery and I think a remote audio jack for nearly 2x the cost
The 3820R is the newest build that has dolby vision where as most older models before 2021 do not and are priced nearly the same. Only bestbuy has backorders for the model currently aside from amazon.com/ebay.

clshades

I do cast through the browser sometimes however for full screen mirroring or other apps not supporting it would be miracast. TV has smartcast + airplay built into it. I ordered the roku streaming 4k 3820R which will have dolby vision and support miracast anytime without having to enable the service remotely. Hopefully no major issues come up as no other devices exist to fit the bill.

Some other roku facts if anyone else decides to purchase,

The 3821R (4K +) is a waste of money, only difference is same remote but with a rechargeable battery and I think a remote audio jack for nearly 2x the cost
The 3820R is the newest build that has dolby vision where as most older models before 2021 do not and are priced nearly the same. Only bestbuy has backorders for the model currently aside from amazon.com/ebay.
I mirror my phone to the tv via Chromecast no problem. Cast my phone. Whatever I do on the phone from there goes to the tv. Sound, everything.

Solace

Yes that works fine with the built in chromecast on the device, the requirement is windows based devices to cast to the screen for work (without chrome and even chrome is somewhat limited with cast types). Android stripped Miracast support from I think 6+. There are some adhoc solutions like on my ATV box but is limited to 720p and is incredibly buggy. Miracast is the only protocol supported natively in windows. Amazon firestick/Roku and the Microsoft device are the only ones I know of that do it marginally well.

Its quite the shame that TV's lack the support in this day and age... I also thought Miracast was the open source solution too.

Last edited: