What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Missing hds, data loss and other

hfxmike

Hi,

Just got a nice new PSU and when I was installing it, I changed some sata cables and ports the hds were plugged into after all that I had crazy problems and data loss. (some drive letters changed - no biggie, but then Windows wanted to check a drive and ended up "deleting index entry" for about 30 minutes. One drive was renamed, one had a single folder on the root, (missing the 50 other folders) I've got backblaze and a lot of local backups, but it's going to be VERY time consuming to put everything back in it's place.

Didn't think that adding a hd and swapping some cables could wreak such havok!
Will plug them into a different machine and see what's there. Already tried one 1TB drive and 800GB is gone. Recuva doesn't see anything to restore.

I'm not really sure what problem there is to be solved at this point, but I need something to blame - hopefully not myself....can these errors occur by changing which ports the HDs are plugged into? Maybe some of the shorter SATA cables were crap? All drives were recognized in my BIOS, and I didn't do anything weird in Computer Management, other than changing drive letters.

Sorry for this barely coherent brain dump - any ideas appreciated!

KaptCrunch

map out the drive connection or take a picture that clearly shows connection and ID by masking tape drive of what it is (drive letter, size and port connected to) so that will be the same as it was before tare down

next time when booting and not seeing your OS boot, restart hit F8, or Del key to enter bios and select boot drive that has OS.

Sounds if MBR on drives gotten removed some how or corrupted maybe change letters of drives cause OS over write MBR or your back-up data software used wrong MBR for drive due to different data port address

as for data its gone unless had a back-up of it

Last edited:

JD

Staff member
That's really odd if just swapping cables around did that. It shouldn't be the case, and generally Windows will even keep the drive letters if you do.

Sounds more like you had RAID setup or maybe JBOD? Perhaps Windows Storage Spaces or something similar?

Did you just add a HD or did you replace/remove one?

hfxmike

Sorry for taking so long to respond - I've been getting my data back from backblaze and backing it up locally.

I did add a drive when I was connecting everything up with my new PSU. And the SATA ports used were switched around because I didn't think it mattered. (not like the master/slave days)

Also - the screw-up didn't happen all at once. My drives had the wrong letters, or weren't mounted so I went into disk management to right them. Then the craziness started. I thought Windows was just doing harmless checks.

I had a 2 TB drive which didn't show up in explorer, but luckily all of the files are there.

My concern right now is how do I connect my drives in a way that Windows doesn't freak out again. Feels like I'm dealing with IRQ conflicts and all that crap. You would think that by now, computers would know when something has changed and wouldn't default to erasing data.

Maybe just an error window with a code saying "WTF" :( grrr

Mike

JD

Staff member
Are you still running the AMD setup in your specs? I don't have much experience there, maybe it's some weird SATA controller bug in AMD chipsets of that era? Never had any issues like that on my Intel chipset boards though, even drives in arrays I can move around SATA ports and it still picks them up.

hfxmike

I'm doing a gradual upgrade, but still running the old AMD 635 on the board listed under my specs. I'll update that now.

crazyea

When windows messed up my index I used Recuva and it did a pretty good job. Probably much quicker than downloading everything.

hfxmike

Recuva for me only found 3 system files. One other strange side-effect to all of this is that the fonts in many types of windows are bold now. Text in the menus and buttons is fine, but in this text field, for example, I am typing in bold without <B> on.

Bond007

Have you tried unplugging all drives except for the windows based drive and having it plugged into the original sata port?

Error 403 Daily Limit Exceeded. The quota will be reset at midnight Pacific Time (PT). You may monitor your quota usage and adjust limits in the API Console: https://console.developers.google.com/apis/api/youtube.googleapis.com/quotas?project=345236864347 : dailyLimitExceeded

Twitter