What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Missing hds, data loss and other

hfxmike

Have you tried unplugging all drives except for the windows based drive and having it plugged into the original sata port?

Yes, I am currently running the rig with just the ssd boot drive. No problems.

I can't remember which drives were plugged into which SATA ports. When installing the new PSU, I decided to replace some long SATA cables with short ones. I thought SATA ports were like usb ports - ie if they're the same speed, they're interchangeable. Maybe I'm wrong about that as well. haha

Mike

crazyea

Recuva for me only found 3 system files. One other strange side-effect to all of this is that the fonts in many types of windows are bold now. Text in the menus and buttons is fine, but in this text field, for example, I am typing in bold without <B> on.
Did you enable deep scan?

Also, my files were under a "found" folder so it wasn't obvious at first.

hfxmike

Thanks - trying that now. This 1 TB hard drive was renamed to the 500GB drive I added. And it is missing 600GB of files, AND I had to modify permissions to access it.

This HD dock I bought a while ago sure is coming in handy!

Yikes 17 hrs left. :)

-edited for clarity

Last edited:

hfxmike

It found a bunch of stuff - but most of it was garbage anyway - temp and cache files with no directory paths.

I'm still feeling uneasy about plugging in a hard drive to my main rig. Which port and is there any particular way to go about re-lettering the drives and partitions?

hfxmike

After the scan most directories were given as F:/?/

The recovery put most most files in recognizable folders, but Recuva wasn't able to recover very much - a lot of tiny .pssg files. This is not so important as I have everything backed up using backblaze.

I'll still unsure how to properly reconnect the drives. I guess I'll do it one at a time.

hfxmike

Actually I had GRID on that drive.
My concern now is connecting a sata hd. Does the port matter?
Can I give the partitions back the letters that the used to have?

Before any of this happened I wouldn't hesitate.

hfxmike

I don't know if I found the issue, or just removed a possible culprit.
One my monitors has a card reader/usb hub on it and was connected into a another usb hub - and then the computer. I've disconnected it and I'm also going to remove the virtual drives.

hmmm

JD

Staff member
Hmm potentially you had too many drive letters... since you're up to "L" in just whats seen here. Any other external USB storage devices might have reserved other letters too.

Also Virtual Clone Drive might have been holding onto some drive letters that Windows was trying to assign to your HDD's when you moved them around.

Latest posts

Twitter