What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Missing hds, data loss and other

hfxmike

When I had the most drives connected I think I was using 13 letters - including the 4 above. What happens when you connect a HD and there are no letters left?

3.0charlie

3.0 "I kill SR2's" Charlie
Counted the drives I have (including those mapped) on my work laptop: 19.
Unless your virtual drive app had static letters assignments (does such a thing exist?), I dont think you were lacking drive letters assignments.
You sure there were no raid-controlled drives? Not a raid array, but drives connected to a raid controller?

hfxmike

Not that I know of - My mobo is old, but I've created a RAID with it once in the distant past. All of my drives were set to IDE. In the BIOS, nothing RAID-related was enabled.

3.0charlie

Hold on - IDE drives, and SATA drives? Depending which controller starts first (IDE vs SATA) at boot, it will have an effect on the drive letter assignment.

hfxmike

No, all the hds use sata connectors, but the sata type in the BIOS can only be IDE, RAID or AHCI. Mine were set to IDE.

JD

Staff member
Maybe IDE mode is a more sensitive to port changes, I haven't ran IDE mode for quite some time.

Theoretically, you had 13 letters in use, and if it had to "remap" all of them, you'd be at 26...which is the limit of A-Z and that's ignoring the fact that A-C are generally reserved. Even if you ran out of letters though, the drive just wouldn't show up in My Computer.

Still doesn't explain your data loss though. My guess would be that these drives had issues to begin with or that something interfered with them when you changed the cables - possibly static electricity.

3.0charlie

IDE is more sensitive to hdd port changes and drive letter assingments.
i would never have taught that drive data corruption could happen though.

hfxmike

So I reconnected my 2TB HD which has two partitions.

Windows wanted to check the large partition, but I stopped it. I had to give it a letter manually. When I did that the Volume name came back. Everything seemed to be working fine for a few hours, then the computer crashed and before it booted up it said it was going to do a chkdsk on the large partition. I skipped that and Windows booted up fine - mounting everything.

So now I want to make sure that Windows never does a chkdsk on this partition. It is marked as dirty.
I tried a HEX editor to clear the dirty flag, but it was already 00.

Next I did this:
fsutil dirty query d:
Volume - d: is Dirty

chkntfs /x d:
The type of the file system in NTFS.

I'll reboot and see what happens.

Latest posts

Twitter