What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

MOB suggestion and overall thoughts

Bond007

My brother is looking to do his first build in a LONG time (still on an i5-760) , though he has upgraded his GPU to a gtx 1070 and added an ssd. Basically he wants something that will last him, while keeping cost as low as possible. Likely purchasing sales around Black Friday.

Reusing - MX500 500gb, HDDs, Antec 900 (dated, but he doesn't care)
Ditching - i5 760, 8gb ddr3, m12II 620w, MOB

My thoughts:
CPU - ryzen 5 3600
MOB - MSI B450 Tomahawk Max (this should get him stock support for the CPU, while having a half decent motherboard at a reasonable cost)
RAM - 2x8gb 3600mhz (depending on sales I prefer corsair/g.skill, but we will see what the sales are)
PSU - 650watt - seasonic focus plus, evga g2, or evga g3 ideal. Depending on sales may go semi modular with Seasonic Focus Gold, or Antec Pro Gold

Thoughts on my recommendations? My main area of question is motherboard. Are there other boards similar or better that the tomahawk max that should have CPU support out of the box?

I know it doesn't have nvme, but he is ok accepting that limitation for now to keep costs down.

Bond007

well, my goto mobo's for customers have usually been the Asus Prime series.

for myself, it would be something Asrock, as they're not bad for RGB flash and bling.

Any of the prime had bios for ryzen 3000?

The Asrock steel legend looks pretty good, but I have no experience with them myself.

JD

Staff member
As mentioned in other threads, the ASRock B450M Pro4 should be shipping with Ryzen 3000 BIOS now, both of mine did that I bought in the past 3 months, one from Newegg and the other from Amazon. Should be a relatively safe choice and likely be under $100 for Black Friday sales.

That Tomahawk Max is $170? I don't think it's really worth it for that price since you could get an entry level X570 for a bit over $200 or even a X470 board. Though I suppose the only real benefit would be an extra M.2 slot.

Bond007

As mentioned in other threads, the ASRock B450M Pro4 should be shipping with Ryzen 3000 BIOS now, both of mine did that I bought in the past 3 months, one from Newegg and the other from Amazon. Should be a relatively safe choice and likely be under $100 for Black Friday sales.

That Tomahawk Max is $170? I don't think it's really worth it for that price since you could get an entry level X570 for a bit over $200 or even a X470 board. Though I suppose the only real benefit would be an extra M.2 slot.

that price would be enticing. I will look into what it “lost” with stepping to that board.

Bond007

Any other thoughts? Would you reuse the old power supply to keep costs down, or replace to keep costs lower?

JD

Staff member
Any other thoughts? Would you reuse the old power supply to keep costs down, or replace to keep costs lower?
I think the M12II 620W would still be alright if you're looking to keep costs down. Might save a few bucks going with DDR4-3200 instead too, depending on sales and such.

Latest posts