What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

mobile contracts - where to look for promo's and such?

Mr. Friendly

looking to do some cost cutting. my deals are already really good, but like I said, trying to cost cut.

Me: Fido @ $60/m - 6GB DATA, unlimited Canada calling and international texting
Wife: Fido @ $75/m - 10GB DATA, unlimited Canada calling and international texting

Wife uses data, but I barely touch mine.

any recommendations?

On2wheels

I've heard of deals on redflagdeals forums if you google for wireless deals, I mainly search Rogers because of history with them. YMMV, the big 3 seem to offer different deals to different customers in the same postal code.

Did you buy a phone Friendly? which did you get?

JMCD

Public Mobile is worth checking out as well. I'm on a 4GB/mo, unlimited text, unlimited province calling plan for $40/mo. With discounts it's under $30. They've got some different plans out there at the moment but worth looking into.

JD

Staff member
Public Mobile is worth checking out as well. I'm on a 4GB/mo, unlimited text, unlimited province calling plan for $40/mo. With discounts it's under $30. They've got some different plans out there at the moment but worth looking into.
+1 I think Public is the only "value" carrier worth looking at lately. At least it's still backed by Koodo aka Telus (and shared Bell) network.

I've had no service issues and got in on the $120/12GB/90-day (aka $40/4GB/month) plan a while back. I down to $105 ($35/month) now from my couple referrals and loyalty discount. Yes - a company that actually gives you a discount after each year you remain a customer. Crazy concept! :whistle:

If you really don't use your data, you can go with the $105 90 day plan: unlimited province-talk, unlimited global text, and 1.5GB 3G data (use how you want over the 90 days). You'll have some data if you need it at least. That's almost half of what you are paying today.

Last edited:

Mr. Friendly

I currently have an LG G5 and the wife's got an iPhone 6+...or 6s+, don't remember.

i want an iPhone 8+, but I'm borked and there's no real reason to as the G5 is just fine for the few things I do use it for.

just wondering if there is a way to trim my bill down enough to have a real effect as I do know my current costs are really good in comparison to the big three.

...here's hoping it doesn't become the big four, one Shaw has really got itself established with Freedom Mobile. :whistle:

upcoast604

I currently have an LG G5 and the wife's got an iPhone 6+...or 6s+, don't remember.

i want an iPhone 8+, but I'm borked and there's no real reason to as the G5 is just fine for the few things I do use it for.

just wondering if there is a way to trim my bill down enough to have a real effect as I do know my current costs are really good in comparison to the big three.

...here's hoping it doesn't become the big four, one Shaw has really got itself established with Freedom Mobile. :whistle:
https://willmyphonework.net/

Might help you figure out. ^

I was perusing Publicmobile and it looks to be the better if it works well. https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/on/plans

Mr. Friendly

thanks for reference to that coast...but not really anything I needed. I know my phones are compatible with almost every carrier out there.

gotta check out what Freedom Mobile data reliability is like now. I can save about $30/m for almost identical plans vs. Fido. also need to see what rules there are for out-of-zone area's. Edmonton's fine for my family...but her's is in Prince Rupert, which suffers from having very little due to how remote it is. :p

upcoast604

thanks for reference to that coast...but not really anything I needed. I know my phones are compatible with almost every carrier out there.

gotta check out what Freedom Mobile data reliability is like now. I can save about $30/m for almost identical plans vs. Fido. also need to see what rules there are for out-of-zone area's. Edmonton's fine for my family...but her's is in Prince Rupert, which suffers from having very little due to how remote it is. :p
Canadian Cellular Towers Map

I ran across this today regarding Freedom ^.

Latest posts

Twitter