What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

mobile contracts - where to look for promo's and such?

Cannon Fodder

Oh wow, thats cool. Looking at it, I now know why Bell/Telus = awesome signal at my house, vs Fido/Rogers which is shit.
And in our case, it's the opposite, i.e. Fido/Rogers signal is fine, but the Telus signal is almost non-existent, BUT that map doesn't really explain anything, except that possibly Rogers has somewhat more powerful signal/hardware, because the map pretty much appears that the two closest towers/cells for both Rogers & Telus are likely on the same tower(s).

sswilson

Staff member
Hrmmmm..... that map is surprising as it's overwhelmingly biased towards bell (with no rogers towers close by), but I get crap reception at home on the duty phone I carry that's on the bell network while I never have any issues with my personal phone on the rogers network. It's an old LG flip phone so maybe it's the band that's the issue with the duty phone....

sswilson

Staff member
Not any more. (I didn't carry "heat" on a daily basis though, I loaded it on aircraft..... ;) ).

Mr. Friendly

I don't carry heat much either. unless wife made chili the night before. :whistle:

not to say I ever carried heat...never have. don't intend to either. :ph34r:

Chilly

And in our case, it's the opposite, i.e. Fido/Rogers signal is fine, but the Telus signal is almost non-existent, BUT that map doesn't really explain anything, except that possibly Rogers has somewhat more powerful signal/hardware, because the map pretty much appears that the two closest towers/cells for both Rogers & Telus are likely on the same tower(s).
One thing I learned from deploying an enterprise wireless deployment in a past gig is that while there is a lot of science on paper and in-theory, but when it comes to the real world, ensuring even spread of signal propagation is a black magic art.

On2wheels

+1 I think Public is the only "value" carrier worth looking at lately. At least it's still backed by Koodo aka Telus (and shared Bell) network.

I've had no service issues and got in on the $120/12GB/90-day (aka $40/4GB/month) plan a while back. I down to $105 ($35/month) now from my couple referrals and loyalty discount. Yes - a company that actually gives you a discount after each year you remain a customer. Crazy concept! :whistle:

If you really don't use your data, you can go with the $105 90 day plan: unlimited province-talk, unlimited global text, and 1.5GB 3G data (use how you want over the 90 days). You'll have some data if you need it at least. That's almost half of what you are paying today.
Did you want another referral credit? I'm going to begin the process of telling Rogers I'm leaving and unless they pull a magic trick I'll go with publicmobile. PM me to get my info.

Latest posts

Twitter