What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

mobile contracts - where to look for promo's and such?

JD

Staff member
well, not even Public can match what I have from Fido. they're $10/m more for 1GB/month less data. :p
Sure, but you said you don't touch your data, so why would you keep paying for 6GB/month? With the PM 90 day plans, your chunk of data is spread across that 90 day period, so if you have a heavy month, then you just be more careful in the other 2 months.

On2wheels

Heads up for anyone else on Public Mobile, they improved their old $30/mon plan from only province wide calling to Canada wide for the same price. You have to manually go in and change your plan however.

On a side note, Pub Mobile sent me a text with a promo code for Koodo, for 2GB data, canada calling, intl texting, $30 bill credit, for $35/mon. Tempting offer but without the discounts available on PubMobile. I've hardly been using my 500MB, but for a few bucks more I could have 2gb...why pay for something I don't even use...

sswilson

Staff member
Might as well bump this thread rather than starting a new one on the exact same subject......

After my last trip away burnt through $150+ worth of rogers Pay-As-You-Go talk/LD in 3 weeks I've decided to bite the bullet and go for a sub with unlimited talk and some data.....

So far the sweet spot seems to be $45 for somewhere around 2GB data on a BYOP plan. I've looked at Fido, virgin, Koodo, and Public Mobile.

Anybody else I should be considering?

Public Mobile is only $40, but it's 3G... would that matter at all for somebody who has no intention of consuming streaming media? (Use would be pretty much restricted to website print, but depending on usage might also include news apps like flipboard).

Any comments on what the best network down my way might be?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

sswilson

Staff member
Looks like Eastlink's got a 4GB plan for $50 assuming my phone would be compatible.

JD

Staff member
3G would be fine for music streaming, surfing, etc. Streaming HD videos or using it for tethering may be a bit on the slow side. If you can hold out until August/September, you can probably get a better deal. Usually decent "back to school" promos.

Current plans are all pretty garbage. $45 for 2GB is insane. I have $40 for 6GB LTE, unlimited talk/text with Koodo currently (Public Mobile switchover promo). There was also that $50 10GB LTE plan last year too.

sswilson

Staff member
3G would be fine for music streaming, surfing, etc. Streaming HD videos or using it for tethering may be a bit on the slow side. If you can hold out until August/September, you can probably get a better deal. Usually decent "back to school" promos.

Current plans are all pretty garbage. $45 for 2GB is insane. I have $40 for 6GB LTE, unlimited talk/text with Koodo currently (Public Mobile switchover promo). There was also that $50 10GB LTE plan last year too.

Fortunately, none of these plans are locked in contracts (I'm bringing my own device) so I'd be able to switch at any time a better deal comes along.

The biggest thing for me is the unlimited canada wide talk. I've seen a few slightly better deals but they've all been a limited amount of talk minutes.

Eastlink is out.... they claim that their LTE service will only work on phones provided by them (and either don't know, or won't provide the info on what bands they need).

I may go with that 3G one for now as it seems to me it was only $40 / 2GB.

sswilson

Staff member
Ended up with Public Mobile for now until I see a better deal out there. $38/Mo Unlimited T+T and 2.5GB data (3G not LTE).

sswilson

Staff member
Ended up with Public Mobile for now until I see a better deal out there. $38/Mo Unlimited T+T and 2.5GB data (3G not LTE).

Heh... that didn't take long... hasn't even been a month and I'm already "upgraded" to 4GB for the next autopay renewal. Still 3G speeds, but it looks like that's still over the LTE network, just throttled back.

Now to wait for a 6GB offer to come down the pipe.... :)

In all honesty, I probably will never need more than 1GB for my usage scenario, but it's comforting to have a large overhead.

Latest posts