What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Mobo change - re-install OS?

GT7R

As a general rule with win 7 - do you guys think I should re-install after changing a mobo? (to a different model of course)

GT7R

I don't care about the data as much, just to save some time as I'm getting this scenario many times.

blaze_125

You don't need to re-install unless you're changing the mobo of a OEM system with an OS tied to the hardware.

trayton

I usually see if it boots first and lets me do the usual things I do.. If no crashes (blue screens etc..) then I'll leave it for a while and format when I have excess time (which doesnt happen often)

redline

Yeah, Windows 7 should be able to handle it. You might want to uninstall drivers before making the swap. You could also use something like Acronis Universal Restore.

Pabz0r545

I did the p67 to z68 with no problems but I just upgraded my brothers computer from an x58 platform to z77 and the swap did not go so well. We were unable to boot into windows after installing the new cpu/mobo/ram. I had to pull all the hardware out of his case and hook the old stuff back up to get the new drivers on before we installed the new hardware.

crazyea

I usually see if it boots first and lets me do the usual things I do.. If no crashes (blue screens etc..) then I'll leave it for a while and format when I have excess time (which doesnt happen often)
What he said. I even ran mine for a month or two until it forced me to reactivate again.....

Twitter