What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Mobo chipsets?

kcksteve

i hope this is the rite place to post this, okai im choosing a motherboard and i was wondering if there is a significant performance increase between the nVidia 500sli vs the 590sli and if its worth the extra cash

JD

Staff member
If your honestly going to use SLI, then get the 590. The 500 only has 8x per slot SLI where as the 590 has 16x per slot SLI meaning higher bandwidth.

Here's a comparison: Tech Specs

At this point in time however, you may want to look into Intel Core 2 Duo instead, but it's up to you.

kcksteve

wich one

now ive narrowed it down to a 570ultra and a 690g since ive decided sli is not worth it too run sli so u guys know which one uf these will give better performance?

JD

Staff member
Doesn't the 690G have on-board graphics? I've always liked nForce chipsets, seeing as I've used them since nForce2. So I'd go for the 570 Ultra, just make sure it's not the ASUS one. I hear theres a lot of problems with it...

enaberif

do you mean this mobo [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]ASUS M2N-E problems?
http://www.ncix.com/products/index.php?sku=18885
[/FONT]
m2n-e only has support upto 1.8 volts for memory. If you plan to use high end or good memory it may require more than 1.8 and you'll be SOL.

M2N-E SLI is pretty much the best AMD board right now.

690g, 965, 680i, and p35 are the best chipsets to go with right now.

JD

Staff member
680i chipset is only for Intel. The highest AM2 chipset is the 590 SLI.

The one you linked seems fine. Decent price too I guess.

Twitter