What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

mobo+cpu recommendations!

t_mo_t

Hey guys

It has been a while since I posted here. Now my desktop is unable to boot up (which i suspect is the motherboard), i need to change just the mobo+cpu, since a p55 mobo is more expensive than just getting a newer socket with the cpu.

My current rig is:
i7 860 @4GHz on water, 3.4ghz on air
asus p55d-e pro lga1156 (i think it is broken now)
4x2gb gskills eco cl7 pc3-1600,
1x250gb samsung evo ssd
1x1tb wdc black
1x2tb wdc green
1x150gb velociraptor
ultra x4 850W psu (yeah i know)
evga gtx275sc
CM haf932

i will be using this desktop for software development so i m not sure if i should ditch the rams and get the 4x4gb instead. I would love to reuse my cpu... any suggestions?

Thanks guys!

Last edited:

MARSTG

the p55 mobos support only 16GB RAM. if you need another p55 TheDarkLord has some.

Fudd Rucker

Ive gotten 32gb of ram to run on P55 just fine. Only reason I dropped it was for something with M.2, otherwise an overclocked lynnfield is still a pretty chip for todays standards.

t_mo_t

the p55 mobos support only 16GB RAM. if you need another p55 TheDarkLord has some.

16GB is not enough for today's standard? lol i kinda noticed that using PHPStorm on my 16GB laptop... still sluggish

Ive gotten 32gb of ram to run on P55 just fine. Only reason I dropped it was for something with M.2, otherwise an overclocked lynnfield is still a pretty chip for todays standards.

agree!

If you can get a board for 100 bucks then keep on trucking

Just got one for 85bucks.. not the pro one, just the vanilla p55d-e, but dont really care for the extra features from the pro nowadays

On a post rampage to get into the bst thread?

huh?