What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

MOBO not powering on

rubrbutt

I just recently picked up a i7-4790k and a MSI Z97 gaming 5 motherboard. I am using a Corsair TX750W power supply. For some reason, I am not getting any power to the motherboard. None of the LED lights will turn on or the CPU fan turn at all. I have done some of my own trouble shooting on this, here is what I have done so far with just the motherboard and nothing else in it,

Connected the 24 and 8 pin with just the CPU and nothing comes on.
Reseated the CPU.
Reseated the power connections.
Try taking the motherboard out of the case and putting power to it. Still nothing.
Tested the power supply on old motherboard, and works fine.

I am at a loss to what could be the problem other than maybe the mobo is dead. Help with this would be greatly appreciated

Thanks,

3.0charlie

3.0 "I kill SR2's" Charlie
There seems to be a specific BIOS for the 4790k (MSI Global). I wonder if this is not the issue. 'cause otherwise, you've went though the works - I'd call this a dead board.

Last thing: ram sticks swap? CMOS reset?

rubrbutt

I didn't do a CMOS reset and there is no ram in the board when I was trying to get the power on. I can try that and see what happens and let you know.

KaptCrunch

check your power connection with pcie possible mixed with cpu power

Last edited:

jalmir

Make sure the jumper for power is installed
There isn't any special jumpers for "power" ... not sure what you mean!

KaptCrunch seems the only thing that would make sense at this point, just make sure you're using the right 8 pin connector, or see if a 4 pins connector only would work (check the manual, there seems that only installing 4 pins on one side could work).

D

Dark Knight

I didn't see this mentioned but when the CPU was installed and re-seated did you notice any possible bent-pins on the motherboard? If there are any bent-pins it may not POST or power-on. The motherboard could be DOA as well or it may not support the 4790K out of the box as it is on an old bios?

jalmir

I didn't see this mentioned but when the CPU was installed and re-seated did you notice any possible bent-pins on the motherboard? If there are any bent-pins it may not POST or power-on. The motherboard could be DOA as well or it may not support the 4790K out of the box as it is on an old bios?
I might be wrong but shouldn't the power LED from the mobo light up even if there aren't any CPU? Because of that I'm really thinking it's DOA.

SKYMTL

HardwareCanuck Review Editor
Staff member
It could really be the BIOS. MSI released a specific update for Devil's Canyon...

Error 403 Daily Limit Exceeded. The quota will be reset at midnight Pacific Time (PT). You may monitor your quota usage and adjust limits in the API Console: https://console.developers.google.com/apis/api/youtube.googleapis.com/quotas?project=345236864347 : dailyLimitExceeded

Latest posts

Twitter