What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Mobo or Windows problems ?

Oizombie

Hello,

Ever since yesterday, I am unable to be connected to the Internet with my main computer. At first, I thought it was the router or the ethernet cable, but 3 ports and 2 cables later along with attempts with another computer lead me to think the problem is either the motherboard itself (Gigabyte GA-790X-UD4P) or something having gone wrong with Windows 7 x64 (even if I did not changed anything other than shutting my computer for the first time in quite a while). Btw, I have also tried connecting the modem directly to the computer with no success.

What do you guys think ? I am most likely overlooking something, but what ?
I will start contacting Gigabyte right away and see what they think, but first I thought I needed to ask my favorite computer related community :thumb:

Thanks

Edit: I was able to connect with the other computer, but not with my main computer no matter what I tried.

Last edited:

Kilauea

Oops :doh:, the original message is actually posted by me, but I used my cousin's computer and forgot to log in (habits). So, ya the problem is mine, the rig is in my sig.

KeepSix

The other pc couldn't connect. That rules out your computer, no?

Kilauea

I have found a part I had laying around from I don't know old computer. Not 100% sure, but it looks like a NIC PCI adapter card. I actually got 2 of those, picked one and tried it, now it works right away. Does that mean the problem was the motherboard ? If so, what could cause such a problem after nearly 1 year of use.

Edit: While I wait to hear from Gigabyte, is there any reason why I should use one of the 2 cards instead of the other ?

Kilauea

Thanks a lot sswilson, that fixed the problem. I really need to get used to looking at certain details before asking for help.
Now, I'm wondering for what reason did that stopped working suddenly.

sswilson

Staff member
Never know what might set something like that off, especially when it comes to drivers. For network cards I always have a look to see if microsoft might have slipped a network card driver update in and drop back to the last one..... ;)

Latest posts