What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Modding Q: fit wider PCIe in smaller slot

CMetaphor

Quadfather
Another day, another question that Google can't seem to answer easily.

So, quick question:
What's the best/safest method to get a PCIe 16x card into an 8x or smaller slot?

Opinions seem wildly varied, some suggest melting with a fine soldering iron, others saying "snap it off" and others say sawing with a file or fine saw works best. I'm leaning towards the last opinion, what do you guys think?

JD

Staff member
Might be better off getting a riser cable and hacking at that instead rather than modifying the card or motherboard slot.

Bond007

Brand new MOB? If so, I would either get a riser, return MOB and get one that has the slots you need, or get a different variant of whatever the pcie card is that can fit the smaller slot.

If you don’t mind warranty killing or other potential risks, then I would also go with the small saw option.

CMetaphor

Quadfather
Actually it IS a riser, I have two of them for the same server board, but the flexible ribbon cables that are going to connect that riser to the PCIe cards are both 16x.

MARSTG

Safest method would be a 8x to 16x riser. You can take a Dremel to it like 3.0charlie did on my 2P Opteron board but it might damage contacts on the inside of the slot.

CMetaphor

Quadfather
Safest method would be a 8x to 16x riser. You can take a Dremel to it like 3.0charlie did on my 2P Opteron board but it might damage contacts on the inside of the slot.

That's plan B, but I'm going to be using vertical mounting brackets as much as possible. So, the 90° connector that attaches to the vertical bracket might have different bolt hole spacing. We'll see.

Latest posts