What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Money no object modular PSU

BrainEater

It's almost 4 years since I built this 3930k...
I am upgrading, and have been outta the loop on high end hardware.

What is the BEST 1200-1400 watt, modular powersupply on the market right now?

:whistle:

Soultribunal

Staff member
You could go absolutely nuts and get a Coolermaster Masterwatt MIJ 1200W. Only 1K USD.

But in all honesty I'd opt for a Seasonic Prime or AX series PSU.

-ST

Valkyrie

Maybe the Corsair AX 1500i would be a good choice. It seems to beat even the Cooler Master flagship in the efficiency dept. I'm assuming (and I know I shouldn't) that your aiming for ~ six to eight hundred watts of normal load.

JD

Staff member
I think there's something to be said for over-spec'ing a power supply these days too, assuming you care about efficiency. Most advancements in PC hardware lately has been focused on efficiency. Things today use far less power than things of yesterday while still offering better performance.

If you're running a 1500W PSU, a high-end PC at idle these days is in the realm of 100-150W. That's only using 1% load, which is not going to run at 80+ standards. The only reason I see the need for a 1000W+ PSU would be if you're running dual CPU's with SLI/Crossfire.

With my PC (6850k, 1080 Ti) and my monitor (U3415w), I'm using 170W at my UPS as I type this post. Even while gaming, I don't pass 500W.

MARSTG

Yes, it is a very good choice to spec the system's PSU with the load in mind. Nowadays hardware, even the high end parts are very conscious on power draw, not that it would really count for a gamer, that is more from datacenter/enterprise pov, but to be to the object, the PSU runs at it's best efficiency while at 50% of it's load.

ipaine

Well if I was buying a new PSU right now then I would be getting the EVGA 1000W G3. It gets 9.8/10 from JonnyGuru. EVGA Supernova G3 1000W Review

If not enough power for you then I would look towards the evga 1200W P2 or hell, the 1600W T2. If you don't want Evga then you could also look at the excellent Seasonic Prime ones, like the 1200W Platinum one. It got a 9.6 from JonnyGuru Seasonic Prime Platinum 1200W Review

Edit: I should add that with my system, 4770K@4.6GHz with SLI 1080ti FEs, and a few drives shows peaks of about 830W on my UPS.

Valkyrie

The AX 1500i got a 10 from JonnyGuru. It is likely the most efficient unit out there right now and that may be important for BrainEater's application. Even HardOCP said it was the most efficient they had tested as of review date.

KaptCrunch

AX 1500i THE 12V RAIL IS 125 AMP also uses DC to DC for the cleanest power output

Attachments

• ax1500i.jpg
    ax1500i.jpg
    98.4 KB · Views: 144

chrisk

Folding Captain
If you are folding on that thing, efficiency and heat gotta be prime concern obviously. I don't know about the latest high-end parts (too poor these days to try to keep up) but try to stick to 50% load and efficiency at that level.

Corsair has always been good to me when I have asked for support in the past.

BrainEater

All good points , Thanks fellas.

My current rig is a 3930k with 3 1070's , The whole thing folds constantly , Last time I checked it was about 700-750w at the wall.

I'm looking at a fully ready 4k video editing rig : Skylake-x ( 10 core ?!!) ((200W)) and 3 ptitans, or even volta's mebbie , gonna take a while to build and pay for this.
....And again it will fold 24/7.
That looks like 850 Watts nominal at least to me.

:ph34r:

Latest posts